The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Liniment Question (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/liniment-question-224106/)

commandolover 07-01-2013 07:51 PM

Liniment Question

I have a 16 y/o Thoroughbred mare who "stocks-up" very easily if shipped or stalled on hard ground. She gets stiff, achy, and very cranky. I bought some Absorbine Liniment Gel because it says "can reduce swelling due to "stocking up." Here is my questions: Can I put some on her cannon bone area, wrap her, and ship her with it on? Rinse off? Can I leave it on overnight? If y'all know any other tricks to relieve horses that "stock-up" easily, please comment! My horse will be in a trailer for 10 hours in around a month and I would really like some advice. Thanks:-)

walkinthewalk 07-03-2013 11:14 AM

I won't put Absorbine under wraps but I will use the cooling clay poultice Sore-No-more.

It is an all natural product that I have used on my arthritic hands when trimming. It feels like silk when it goes on:D

I have a horse that ended up with torn ligaments. I poulticed him twice daily, put vet wrap over the poultice, leg quilts over the vet wrap, standing wraps over the quilts, and don't forget the duct tape so nothing slips down during transport.

He wore that get-up for 12 hours at a stretch for at least four months, maybe five months, I can't remember:-(

I thoroughly washed his legs with warm water and dawn dish soap, then rinsed his legs with cold water.

He never got scurf or burned.

I would consider buying a five pound tub of the Sore-No-More clay poultice and poulticing/wrapping him for the ride.

Sore-No-More liquid is good but not good enough for what you need.

Sore No More Cooling Clay Poultice Equilite (Health Care - Liniments)

Hope this helps:-)

EDITED TO ADD: Be sure to wrap both legs, even if she only has problems with one:)

commandolover 07-03-2013 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=walkinthewalk;2958890]I won't put Absorbine under wraps but I will use the cooling clay poultice Sore-No-more.

It is an all natural product that I have used on my arthritic hands when trimming. It feels like silk when it goes on:D

I have a horse that ended up with torn ligaments. I poulticed him twice daily, put vet wrap over the poultice, leg quilts over the vet wrap, standing wraps over the quilts, and don't forget the duct tape so nothing slips down during transport.

He wore that get-up for 12 hours at a stretch for at least four months, maybe five months, I can't remember:-(

I thoroughly washed his legs with warm water and dawn dish soap, then rinsed his legs with cold water.

He never got scurf or burned.

I would consider buying a five pound tub of the Sore-No-More clay poultice and poulticing/wrapping him for the ride.

Sore-No-More liquid is good but not good enough for what you need.

Sore No More Cooling Clay Poultice Equilite (Health Care - Liniments)

Hope this helps:-)

EDITED TO ADD: Be sure to wrap both legs, even if she only has problems with one:)[/ I've heard poultices are hard to get off, is this true? How do you apply it? I've only used liniments in the past, this is the first horse I've had with this problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 07-03-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commandolover;2961570I've heard poultices are hard to get off, is this true? How do you apply it? I've only used liniments in the past, this is the first horse I've had with this problem.
[SIZE=1
Posted via Mobile Device[/SIZE]

Sore-No-More is not gooey like some other poultices. It slides on the legs really easy. I take a handful and start at the knees, working my way down to the fetlock joints. It's almost like working with clay pottery and you can "redesign" the clay on the horse's legs, if you don't get it thick enough the first time - lol

But it does start to dry fairly quick, so there's not a lot of redesigning time:)

It tends to be crumbly when it dries. It can almost be brushed off with a stiff brush or even removed with a bot knife but it's best to wash horse's legs.

Wash them in warm water and dawn dish soap, then thoroughly rinse them in cold water to get all the soap off. Dawn dish soap is very safe to use; it's what the rescues use on fowl after oil spills. I say cold water because the hot/cold helps the legs.

Saddlebag 07-12-2013 10:09 PM

Absorbine states "If you rub don't wrap". Is the mare in a standing stall or box stall? She should be out where she can move around.

waresbear 07-15-2013 11:46 PM

Sore No More doesn't make my hands tingle like Absorbine does and that is how a liniment works. It is a counter-irritant, meaning it makes your skin on top of the sore muscles tingle, feel different, etc., to distract from the muscles underneath, nothing absorbs into the muscles. This is from a pharmacist who explained to me how liniments work. However, maybe Sore No More does do something to horse's skin that counter irritates the muscles, but not for me. I never rub and wrap, not enough experience for me to trust myself doing that to a horse.

~*~anebel~*~ 07-16-2013 12:05 AM

Most experienced haulers will also tell you not to wrap for long journeys.

I wrap for 4-5 hour trips, any longer, and in hot conditions, the wraps will slip down no matter how tightly you wrap them, and your horse will get tangled in them, or you will have to remove them at the 4-5 hour mark anyways.
So, I would say not to put anything on the legs for a long journey.

Most horses will stock up on hard ground. This is why I have portable stall mats for my horses when I take them to shows and they are on concrete. As well I have a set of "Soft Ride" boots that I use on my main horse for hauling and walking around on strange ground. Both the mats and the boots drastically reduce stocking up. I don't have hind boots because they go just under the fetlock, where he has chronic scratches, and I do not like to irritate the area, but you can get them for all 4 legs.

I would recommend first getting the horse examined by a veterinarian and a comprehensive plan for managing her arthritis developed. Then once a regime of Legend and/or Adequan has been established, the swelling and soreness should be diminished. Also talk to him about management while hauling. For horses who are competing with drug restrictions (mine is 0 tolerance as he is a CDI competitor), Legend is acceptable to use and will reduce inflammation caused by standing in a trailer for hours. If the horse is under less rigorous restrictions, bute during the trip may help (talk to your vet!) but can also mask signs of shipping fever so beware and check temps often.
And look into the Soft Ride boots - they are becoming more and more popular with performance horses because they are a drug free way to limit stocking up.

Liniment has fallen out of favor with most modern vets and equine practitioners, because of it's limited helpfulness, and potential danger along with showing up in drug tests.
Good luck!