The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   My Coach reached into her bag of torturous exercises... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/my-coach-reached-into-her-bag-224130/)

waresbear 07-01-2013 07:08 PM

My Coach reached into her bag of torturous exercises...

I have my most important show of the year this upcoming weekend, I have lessons every morning at 9 am to beat the heat of the day & I also work at the 3 pm. My coach, I love her dearly and she is so effective, however she came up with a doozey this morning. She removed my spurs, and balanced them on top of my toes, then had me drop my stirrups and I had to work at all three gaits, extending & collecting them. I had sweat in my eyes, down my face and running down to my chest, but I finally mastered it each gait, extended & collected, for one round of the arena. I wonder what she has in her bag tomorrow? Wednesday will be easier, doing western with a large group to perfect traffic negotiation skills. What's in your trainer's bag?:think:

Chevaux 07-01-2013 08:00 PM

All I can say is you will thank her one day!!!

SlideStop 07-01-2013 08:24 PM

I always find one stirrup work tough! It throws me all off wack.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 07-01-2013 08:27 PM

One stirrup work? What is that??? And I won't be asking my coach because she'll have me do it.

SlideStop 07-01-2013 09:58 PM

Just drop one stirrup and try to stay balanced. It REALLY forces you to use the stirrup-less other side of your body just as much as the side with the stirrup.
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 07-02-2013 12:15 AM

Yuck, one stirrup work, gross. But it comes in handy when you lose ONE stirrup in the ring and are too chicken to just toss the other one :lol:

I don't particularly mind no stirrup work if she doesn't have us stop to chat in between exercises. Downward transitions without stirrups and a horse that's ready to go is no fun...

waresbear 07-02-2013 12:18 AM

All this grunt work better pay off for me at the BC Heritage Championships this weekend, I tell ya!

Skyseternalangel 07-02-2013 12:22 AM

Omg I started sweating just picturing that scenario o_O and grimacing.

I am in no way strong enough to do that... you've got muscles of steel, girl!

alexischristina 07-02-2013 12:24 AM

Ah Wares, tell me how it goes! I wanted to go this year, qualified for it but then realized it falls right on my birthday weekend, and I wouldn't have a ride up there anyway.

Hopefully it goes well for you!

Paintlover1965 07-02-2013 12:30 AM

Sounds like a hard lesson. Aren't instructors evil sometimes? I've done my own sort of "one-stirrup work" out on the trail before but it sadly wasn't an exercise. And, I wouldn't have wanted to do it for too long- especially in a gallop. Thankfully, no mishaps for me. I'm taking a break from lessons this year but I've had my share of lessons out in the ring in the blazing sun. My instructor always knew how to motivate me by saying: "Well, if you need to slow down and take a break till you get in condition..." It drove me crazy so I would keep on going. She would then say at another lesson how enthusiastic and what great progress I had made. It's all worth it in the end. Good luck with your next lesson...aka torture session...