The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   How to gain trust from a new horse (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/how-gain-trust-new-horse-224178/)

coIZIco 07-01-2013 08:51 PM

How to gain trust from a new horse

I have some experience with horses but not a lot. I have only really been around well trained horses. Recently my neighbor has given me permission to go over and work there horse for them because they never get to anymore. The only problem is, is that I don't think the horse respects me. When I go over to feed them on occasion he nips at me and tries to chase me out of his stall if I stay too long. I was planning on going over to see if I could at least lunge him for some exercise but I don't know a good way to put a halter on him in the safest way. I can't really ask the neighbors because they are out of town so I was hoping someone on here could help me.
Thank you.

dlady 07-01-2013 10:11 PM

I would go take a few riding lessons first. In these lessons you will learn how to tack up a horse. Once you take a few lessons and is comfortable around horses, you can get some extra riding time on your neighbors horses. Don't show any fear or nervousness around them, they will pick up on that and use it to their advantage.

Palomine 07-01-2013 10:39 PM

Neighbor should be giving you some tips, instead of just throwing you in this then.

And you don't "gain trust", you demand respect by your attitude, and handling, and then horse will "trust" you...

But need lessons, and don't know why you are staying in stall too long and for what?

Sharpie 07-01-2013 10:56 PM

Staying in a stall too long? All things are belong to me when I am with my horse because I am the boss. That means it's MY stall if I'm there and he only gets to stand in part of it at my pleasure. If the horse is poorly behaved and you don't know how to deal with it, I strongly recommend getting some lessons with experienced horse people so that you can both stay safe and prevent the horse from learning any (more) bad habits. Horses are big strong animals that can easily cause serious harm if you don't know how and when to correct them or stay out of the way. Unfortunately for a forum type environment, so many of the things you may need to learn will require timing and a look at sometimes subtle body language that is difficult to communicate in writing.

coIZIco 07-01-2013 11:00 PM

I have already had lessons and feel comfortable around horses. But like I said that was around well trained horses. This horse is not as broke as a lesson horse but my neighbors and I think I can handle him. As far as why I'm in his stall is when I'm mucking it out. He sometimes pins his ears and turns to chase me but I don't let him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lauren Woodard 07-06-2013 01:53 PM

First things first. You can't ride a horse you can't get close to. Be in the stall in a non-threatening way, but don't get pushed around either. Have a rope or stick with you and if the horse turns to you, stand there or pet him depending on location. If he turns his butt to you, swing the rope at it or tap with the stick. Be careful as he may use his feet to indicate that you need to move. You will have to LEARN position, timing and feel. You won't be good at first, so approach it as a lesson for you and the horse.

MustangPrincess 07-09-2013 08:24 PM

Groundwork-let the horse know you are the boss. Don't be harsh, just make sure the horse knows that you are the boss.

Try this: bring a flag (parelli carrot stick w/flag on the end) or crop/whip into the stall. If the horse tries to crowd you, just give him a tap. If he does not listen, tap him again, a little harder this time. Also, when you are leading him, hold a crop/whip or flag in one hand. If he trys to run ahead of you, tap his chest. If he tries to push into you, poke him in the shoulder.

This does not hurt the horse! It is just teaching him manners.

I do this w/ my horses and they are very respectful with me on the ground, and also in the saddle.

~MP