The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Ready to Show? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/ready-show-22424/)

cowgirlfitzy 02-11-2009 05:34 PM

Ready to Show?

Everyone share their tips and secrets to getting their horse ready for a show. This includes everything from hooves, mane and tail, coat, supplements, banding/braiding, Favorite products, ect.

cowgirlfitzy 02-11-2009 05:35 PM

I love World Pepe Coat conditioner. It smells really nice and puts a nice shine

StormyBlues 02-11-2009 05:52 PM

NEVER bathe at the show! It takes to long, you have to wait FOREVER and it really just doesn't make sense! haha Oh, and after you polish the hooves, use a hard brush on them to bring out a small shine.

XxXequinegrlXxX 02-11-2009 06:00 PM

show sheen babyy :]
haha

ummmmm ya... i can't really think of anything else because show season has been over for a while but when show season starts up and i start getting cricket ready i will have more suggestions !!

bgood400 02-11-2009 07:09 PM

I would always braid or band a horse for a show. It makes it look like you are serious about what you are doing and you belong in the show ring. Sometimes you have to bathe horses at shows. Expecially when you are at a show that lasts 4 or 5 days. I also think it is important to make sure you do a good job when clipping. It makes your horse look sharp.

Midwest Paint 02-11-2009 07:52 PM

Bgood400 is on the mark, LOL.. Some shows just go forever! I also bring box or stall fans to help drying. When it comes to polish, I will also use vet wrap. Those of us that have whites on our little ones legs, polish can be fun to apply, especially to weanlings! I will use the vet wrap and tape up the legs to keep the polish off of the hair, then reverse it later after drying, and "Cowboy White" the legs.

Lots and lots of bands.. OMG! LOL!

WesternPleasure27 02-11-2009 08:41 PM

Show Pepi is my favorite thing EVER.
I find that after you put hoof black on, a light spray of Pepi REALLY makes them shine.
Also, Pantene Pro-V will put a GREAT shine on a horse.

Angel_Leaguer 02-12-2009 01:11 PM

the preparing for a show acually starts weeks before the show- starting with getting your horse the right supplements that will help bring out the healthy, shiny coat look-

But like a week before the show I will clip down the whites on the legs and then like the day before I will clip the rest- ears, muzzle, under the chin, clean up legs, etc... then the bath comes along with banding of the mane. After the bath if it is cool out I will throw a cooler on, it really helps with taking the moisture off. Then my horse gets her hoody and blanket on and we are ready for the night.

The day of the show I will spot wash anything that I need to (they always tend to find that one pile in the stall-lol) I give the body a good brushing along with getting any dirt off the hooves. I spray the whites on the legs with white spray and then will enhance the black (my buckskins) with black spray. The feet will get polished and the fake tail is put in. I fix anything in the mane that needs to be fixed and sometimes will put in a little hairspray to keep it from moving. Face makeup is put on (i like using the black stuff since my horses have black points...) and a mist of pepi is but on the body, and a little in the mane and tail.... im sure im missing stuff but that is the basics of what I do

PoptartShop 02-12-2009 02:47 PM

Bit of baby oil gets the nice shine! MTG works wonders. :) The night before the show, I usually bathe & groom really really well, then put a sheet on (don't want the horse to roll & get the coat all dirty, eh?). Also for an extra touch I add hoof polish. :D Brings a nice shine! & I condition the mane & tail so it's extra smooth. Ah, I'm getting so excited for show season!!

shermanismybaby3006 02-12-2009 02:56 PM

Pretty much do what everyone else does like the banding and bathing and stuff like that.

On my horses the have white on their legs I put polo wraps on them at night because they always seem to get at least one little spot on their white by morning.:lol: Especially my two year old! Man do I miss my bay breeding stock paint mare that had not one spec of white on her! It was so easy!

My horses are blanketed and have a slinky on in the winter and that helps them from getting a winter coat and then in the summer they have a fly sheet with the neck piece on during the day and at night they get a slinky and a sheet on so my show horses are covered with something all year round unless I am not showing that season then they dont have anything on.