The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Growth Question TWH (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/growth-question-twh-224290/)

Moveurasets 07-01-2013 10:23 PM

Growth Question TWH

2 Attachment(s)
So I have a little filly she is 3/4 walking 1/4 racking. Very nice gait to her, Mom was 15.2 ish and dad 15.1 Now my little filly is 21 months old and she is pretty small still like a large pony lol. She has always grown slow and I was told her mom did also. Does this seem pretty normal? Can I expect her to get full sized, did I do something wrong?? lol This is her now at 21 months and at 5months when I got her. She did just have a nice little growth where she went from looking like a fat little baby to this lol.

Moveurasets 07-01-2013 10:24 PM

And ya he spilled her bucket while I was going to grab the bowl... Then looked at me like That wasn't me lol. She also likes to turn her bowl all over the place and spill food everywhere.

Guilherme 07-02-2013 07:56 AM

The simple, traditional method of height estimation is to measure the length of the cannon bone. That length, in inches, will approximate height at full maturity (presuming proper husbandry over time).

There are other, more complex formulas. They might be more accurate, but have a lot more steps. This one meets the "close enough for government work" standard. :-)

To deal with a "bowl spiller" get a 4'x4' piece of heavy plywood, a black rubber bowl, and three heavy duty bolts, nuts, and washers (6). Drill holes in the center of the board and match holes you drill in the bowl. Attach the bowl to the board using the bolts, with a washer on each side. Now put it in the feed area, fill it, and stand back. The horse will likely try and lift it, but it won't work. The bowl is attached the board and the horse is standing on the board (that's why we use a bigger piece of wood :wink: ).

Use the heavy, black rubber bowls as they approach indestructability. I'd stay with a very flat one, as that gives the horse the least "purchase" when they attempt to pick it up.

This vice should "go away" reasonably quickly, but stay with it for several months (or until the plywood rots) to ensure the undersired behavior has been suppressed.

Good luck with the horse.

G.

Moveurasets 07-02-2013 12:59 PM

Thanks, ya if she can's spill her bowl she paws the food out Lol. I am thinking of trying 1 that hangs on fence or a trough something she cant put her foot in..... I have a friend that measured her leg bone and she shows 15.1 so hopefully she gets there. Thanks for your help

TrailRiderr 07-03-2013 10:06 AM

She is so cute!! My TWH, Memphis does that with his feed, too! If he can't knock it over, he takes his nose and stirs it around and tries to flip it out. Funny, but frustrating lol! Not sure about the height, but I would say if you did the measurement correctly...it will be pretty accurate! She does seem to have long legs, maybe her body just needs to catch up :)

Endiku 07-03-2013 12:36 PM

Another idea is getting a fence feeder at your local TSC to hang on the fence. I have a bowl tipper/pawer too and that has helped me a lot. She still manages to dump it occasionally by flipping it with her nose, but it has dramatically increased the amount getting into her belly and decreased the amount feeding the ground. LOL

How tall is your filly exactly? She looks healthy and is butt high so I wouldn't worry too much. Better for them to grow slow than too fast.

Moveurasets 07-03-2013 05:46 PM

I haven't measured her her withers are at my chest and I am 5'5 I will get my friend to measure her for me lol.And ya she was pretty small about a month ago and she shot up and thinned down over night, she is for sure still growing she was evened out and now she is butt high again lol.

Palomine 07-09-2013 05:41 PM

String her. Take hay string, place one end at ergot, (back of fetlock on front) and run other up to elbow, hold that end with one hand pushed against it, and pivot ergot end up towards withers...where string comes to is height she will reach.

Ergot to Elbow.

Moveurasets 07-13-2013 06:38 PM

My friend did that a while back and it showed she should mature to 15.1, she has really hit a growing spree this month she went from even to my chest to almost my shoulders

kstinson 07-19-2013 02:40 PM

I cant say if she is slower to grow or not, we have had TWH here at our farm that have grown until they are 5. My mare grew and her head grew just last yer at 4 and another mare here went from 15h to 15.3h over a summer from 3-4yrs old.

I think it just depends on the horse. Either way -she's a cutie!!