The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horse sense...Or something? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-sense-something-22430/)

Goosen 02-11-2009 08:34 PM

Horse sense...Or something?

When I'm riding, I'm very focoused on doing this and that and whatever. But when something happens, my mind just isn't there.

For example, when Clyde spooked on the lunge line a few days ago. My mind blanked out and to be honest, I don't even fully remember what I did. I made him stop, stand there, and then continued.

When he bucked, I knew just to sit it out and chill for a minute. When he took off, I grabbed a rein and pulled to the left. Doing a leg yield and his throat latch got caught on a letter in the arena and I couldn't get it undone? Stayed totally calm and called out to my instructor.

I'm 13. Have been riding for about 8 years.

What's up with this? o.O

Walkamile 02-11-2009 09:26 PM

Are you daydreaming, or are you a slow reactor? Part of me envies you. I have many responsibilities like most adults (mortgages, owning and running a business, college payments for daughter, truck payments ect...) and am keenly aware at all times because if something happens I cannot afford to get seriously injured. Not that anyone can, but all the oranges and apples being juggled will come crashing down on me:lol:!

Makes me wonder why I have horses?:shock: Oh yeah, they relax me and I enjoy them tremendously!!

TwendeHaraka 02-11-2009 09:49 PM

I have this too, sometimes. ^^

Like when Twende or another horse takes off, I'm generally very cool about it and do what I need to do to stop it. Many times, I don't remember doing anything to prevent it, but I know I did. When I was training him with the canter, he liked to go fast and strong, and I got a bit nervous when I first got him about cantering. But when something happened, I chilled out.

It's weird, but I know what you're talking about. o.0

Ne0n Zero 02-12-2009 12:25 PM

I know exactly what you mean. That happens to me a lot too x)

CrockettsStorm 02-12-2009 04:29 PM

i do this too alot. normally when im rididng ive got everything in my head (toes out sit up straight blah blah blah) but when a horse goes crazy on me i dont have time to think i just react and i often dont remember what i did to make them stop or how i handled the situation just cause i was distracted thinking. its really annoying.

Britt 02-12-2009 09:53 PM

It's just a split-second reaction... Like CrockettsStorm, I have everything in my head when riding, even if I don't do it all... but when something happens, I usually stay really calm and don't even realize what I'm doing until it's done and did.

Jubilee Rose 02-15-2009 12:25 AM

I think this is just natural as humans to do this. I am like this too, and even with other things. Sometimes when something unexpected happens your kind of in shock for a second. I wouldn't worry about why it happens. But do be careful! :wink:

Xoras 02-16-2009 04:14 PM

Yeah. My horse bolted today and I only vaguely remember him jumping over a bucket in the arena, and turning him in a tight circle to get him to calm down.

I think it's a reflex or something in the human mind to surpress things that're vaguely frightening.

wild_spot 02-16-2009 08:26 PM

*shrugs* I'm like this most of the time now. Its your instincts reacting faster than your thoughts can. The more you ride, the more it will happen and the more things you will be able to handle instinctively. It's a good thing!