The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   what brands of jumping saddles are best?????? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/what-brands-jumping-saddles-best-22439/)

shermanismybaby3006 02-11-2009 10:32 PM

what brands of jumping saddles are best??????

I am interested in jumping and I am going to start up lessons, but eventually I am going to be buying a new horse and I want to buy a jumping saddle too. I was wondering which brands are the best? What brands have the best quality saddles. I dont really know my price range yet so price range right now doesnt matter. If you could put pics up of the saddles that would be great to=)

upnover 02-12-2009 12:26 AM

that's a tough question without knowing what your budget range is. i generally recommend Pessoas to most people. they're fantastic, great quality, fit most horses well, put your leg in the correct place, excellent resale value, etc. New they're about $2000, used anywhere starting around $500 and up depending on age. if your budget is less i'd recommend a Collegiate. you can get a nice used one for just a few hundred. a new one for about $1000 i think. If you budget is a lot more, my top 3 favorites are devoucoux, delgrange (or my personal favorite) antares. they're about $4000 new, but worth every penny if you have it.

Dartanion 02-12-2009 02:06 AM

My personal pick would also be a Passoa, I don't own one but my friend Pam has one and riding in it is a dream!! I like a deeper seat with horses who have a larger stride because I don't feel like I am being tossed infront of the saddle. If you horse as a smooth gait then you don't have to fuss with a deeper seat, plus it could also be I grew up in deep seated saddles lol so they are like home for me lol.

IrishRider 02-12-2009 12:53 PM

Yes, it's hard not knowing your price range but there are good saddles in most of the price ranges. On the expensive side my faves are Butets and Devoucoux. In the middle is Pessoa, which I have heard mixed reviews about but in general, pretty good. I have a Bates which I love. I have heard great things about Stubbens. On the less expensive side (depending on model) I have heard good things about HDR saddles. It al depends on your price range and what it is that you want in a saddle.

shermanismybaby3006 02-12-2009 03:45 PM

Yea like I said I dont really have a price range right now cause we are moving and I am saving my money for one. By the time I am ready to buy one I will probably have enough money to get a middle price range one. If I really like jumping I will probably be showing hunter/jumper so I need one that is going to be good enough for that. I dont know which level I will get up to, but my only thing is I dont want any other breed than a paint because I love them so much so I am looking for a paint or paint thoroghbred cross that can jump so I will still be showing at paint shows in jumping too.

Dartanion dont you have a paint that you jump with? How does he do?

RockinTheBit07 02-13-2009 12:45 AM

I got a Stubben Siegfried VSS model and I love it!!! It is an all purpose saddle so i can use it to jump/ride on flat. I got it practically brand new for only $1100 and it is priced new at like $2000. I got it on ebay:lol:, so i would first find what type you want and size and maybe look on ebay, some great deals on great saddles!

StormyBlues 02-13-2009 06:30 PM

I am getting a used Stubben and LOVE it! They are great saddles! I showed at a hunter show with it too! I would recomend them or Bates saddles.

CJ82Sky 02-15-2009 09:29 PM

personally i'm not a fan of pessoas or stubbens, and will always ride in a bates or wintec. i prefer the bates b/c they are leather of course, however both are nearly identical in technology and features aside from that. the changeable gullet to me is key as i've had horses gain and lose weight and muscling and conditioning over the years depending on the amount of work they are in and what not and can always ensure that the saddle fits propery. the CAIR panels are also important as you can use the saddle on various horses, without needing to worry that it will mold/conform to one specific horse's back. honestly i swear by these saddles and use them at the rescue i manage as well because i can always make sure it fits when we're getting a horse into work, and that they will always fit. they have a great range and I love their CC saddles.

MIEventer 02-15-2009 09:37 PM

The question isn't - what is the best saddle out there.

The questions is - what is the best saddle for my horse and I.

Every saddle is different, and what may work for 1 person, may not for you. What will work for 1 horse, may not for you.

The best idea, would be to hire a Professional Saddle Maker/Fitter to come out and work with you. They usually haul out with a ton of saddles to try on and assess with you in it, and on your horse.

Some saddles work well for some riders shape, while other saddles don't.

I dislike Pessoa's. They are flocked with foam - which makes it more expensive for your pocket book to have reflocked when the time comes. And I've seen them fall apart.

The BEST saddles out there - are French Made. But who can afford those? Not moi....

I like Bates. I like Rembrantds. I love the M.Toulouse. I do like Stubbens.

Again - it all depends on what works for you.

I would go to a quallity tack store, with a large selection of saddles. Sit in them, try them on for size. See how you feel in it - find out where the stirrup bars effect your leg. The seat, deep vrs shallow.

How forward of a flap do you need?

All that comes into factor.

Again - a Professional Saddle Maker will help you with that :)

Iluvjunior 02-15-2009 10:32 PM

well for price or quality and lasting you want to look at quality and lasting then price unless you really have a budget i'd say stubben the hermes