The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Should I Pay For Dental Care Before Sale? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/should-i-pay-dental-care-before-224570/)

The Robyn 07-02-2013 12:44 PM

Should I Pay For Dental Care Before Sale?

I am in the process of trading my mare for a gelding owned locally. All 3 of my horses are coming due for having their teeth floated. The person I am trading with has already asked for the mare's papers--which I didn't have but am in the process of getting--at the extra cost of $185. Other than that, it is an even swap (her horse's papers are in hand).

My question is, should I pay for the floating for the mare I'm trading, ask the other party to pay, or exclude the mare from the floating and let the other party take care of it after we swap? The other person has already come out to try my mare and knows she's due soon for a floating.

Thoughts?

smrobs 07-02-2013 12:54 PM

Hmm, I suppose it would depend on the horse I'm getting. If his teeth were UTD and in good shape, I'd likely go ahead and have the mare floated with the rest of them. If his are needing done then I wouldn't do hers either.

Not much sense in paying for 2 horses to have their teeth done if you're only benefiting from one of them.

That might make me petty, but that's how I feel about it.

The Robyn 07-02-2013 01:00 PM

I didn't want to come off as petty either, but I'm already forking out extra money for her papers. I've had others who wanted to swap and didn't care about her papers, but I just like this person's gelding the best. :)

Endiku 07-02-2013 01:06 PM

I would probably call and ask if they'd like for me to have her teeth floated at their expense, just to save them the hassle of doing it when they get her. If they do, fine. If not, leave her out and let them take care of it.

horseluver250 07-03-2013 08:01 AM

I don't think I would pay to have it done unless I had already disgussed it and the buyer was expecting it to be done.

The Robyn 07-10-2013 03:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I decided not to do this trade after all :)

Saddlebag 07-10-2013 04:49 PM

Why are your papers costing $185? Just curious My qh and TWH were both around a hundred, transfer plus membership. My arab cost me an additional transfer because someone had filled in her name but didn't send it in. Had she not she wouldn't have existed. The transfer is a separate paper now.

WSArabians 07-11-2013 01:02 PM

Probably a good idea as I don't have much respect for anyone who charges for a horses registration papers. That's the horses heritage, not theirs.

smrobs 07-11-2013 02:26 PM

Saddlebag, the way I understood it, the mare hadn't been registered (though I might have misunderstood). I know the AQHA registration prices go up as the horse gets older. For a member to register a foal, it's only like $30, but if you wait until it's 2, then the price goes up to $300...and continues to increas until the horse is 4. Anything 4 and over costs $500 to register.

WSArabians 07-11-2013 11:45 PM

Oh! That makes more sense. LOL