The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Uterine infection... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/uterine-infection-22461/)

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-12-2009 10:07 AM

Uterine infection...

I have a friend (using that term loosely) that has a 21 yo mare with a uterine infection. According to them, the vet said it's only a problem if the mare is going to be bred again.

I have an opportunity to acquire this mare and I know NOTHING of mares as I've only owned geldings. To me it doesn't sound right. Wouldn't the infection eventually need to be treated even though the mare would never be bred again (by me)???

The vet said that it just needs flushed, but the owner has not done it.

What are your thoughts???

G and K's Mom 02-12-2009 03:40 PM

You could do an antibacterial flush for a few days. I think 5 or 6 depending of the severity. Did they determine why she gets these infections? If it's a faulty vulva then that could be fixed as well to ensure there's a better barrier.

appylover31803 02-12-2009 03:42 PM

I did some research.
This article has a bunch of information about it
The Horse: Persistent Uterine Infections
(It's free to sign up if you can't read the whole article)

Here's a little exerpt about treatment
"Treating both short-term and recurring infections includes the use of antibiotics and flushing unwanted debris from the uterus via lavage, along with surgical procedures, such as Caslicks operation."

So to answer you question, along with flushing antibiotics might be needed as well.
I think if it was left untreated could really harm the mare

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-13-2009 10:21 AM

That's what I was thinking too.... I think I'll pass on her. Actually, I shouldn't have really inquired about her... I got ahead of myself, I'm not wanting a paint and I'm not ready for horses again.

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-13-2009 10:21 AM

Oh Yeah... Thanks for the info!!!

appylover31803 02-13-2009 04:26 PM

your welcome Amy!

shorty 02-15-2009 02:49 AM

Yes it definitely doesnt sound like something that should be left. Probably causes the mare some pain too. I dont think its of any help but when my guineapig got a urinary tract infection I cleared it up by giving her lots of cranberry juice - after speaking to the vet.

appylover31803 02-15-2009 12:08 PM

I gave cranberry juice to my dog! After he was neutered he got a urinary track infection. The cranberry juice really seemed to help, and he liked it too!