The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Is this a good price? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/good-price-224642/)

QueenCheval 07-02-2013 02:29 PM

Is this a good price?
 
In the future, I want to own my own horse. The stable I ride at offers full boarding, for 450$ a month. Here's what it includes:
A customized feeding plan, but owner pays for their horses supplements.
A mineral salt block
stalls cleaned daily
full day group or solo turnout daily
automatic watering system
scheduled deworming with wormer bought by owner
use of stable farrier and vet, or use your own.
Extra 50 for fly masks and blankets put on for turnout
Extra 10 holding cost for farrier, dental, or vet treatment
35 dollars for an hour of arena rental

Would you consider this a good service for 450 a month?
Stall and pasture, and riding space available.

DancingArabian 07-02-2013 02:37 PM

Depends on what other barns around you are offering.

For me, in my area, that pricing would not be a good deal. Mostly because of the extra fees for blanketing/fly mask and arena rental. I can find places around me that include arena use and blanketing along with full turnout and a stall and trails for that price.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 07-02-2013 02:37 PM

Everything except the "arena rental" part. If you're boarding there and paying that much, you should be allowed to use the arena whenever you darn well please. JMPO.

Like DA said, check your area to compare prices and amenities.

For example, where I board now, I get pretty much the same thing you are talking about (minus the auto waterers), my BO doesn't charge extra to put on/take off fly masks or blankets, doesn't charge to hold your horse if you can't be there, and I can use the arena whenever I want (during stable hours). I pay $185/month for an outside stall, or $225/month if I wanted an indoor stall with a run. My BO is also willing to let my friend leave one of her horses at the barn when we go for a trail ride (my friend has her horses at home, but her old, dead lame TB gelding is EXTREMELY herd-bound).
Posted via Mobile Device

EquineObsessed 07-02-2013 02:41 PM

Even with arena rental, that would be considered reasonable in new England- but we have expensive boarding. I only know of one farm less than $500, and they do not have an arena rental fee, but they are incredibly cheap for the area.

morganarab94 07-02-2013 02:46 PM

Around here board is only like 150-300$ for a really nice place that includes turnout, blanketing and anytime turnout. So around here that'd be really expensive.

verona1016 07-02-2013 02:50 PM

Definitely depends on the area, $450 for the services you describe would be on the higher end of normal in my area, but the arena rental thing seems strange. Do you really have to pay every time you want to ride in the arena? For that price, do you get the whole arena to yourself? What if you want to ride when someone else is "renting" the arena? I'd be really angry if I were paying $35/hour to ride in an arena and it ended up being too crowded to do whatever exercises I had planned for the day.

morganarab94 07-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganarab94 (Post 2952762)
Around here board is only like 150-300$ for a really nice place that includes turnout, blanketing and anytime turnout. So around here that'd be really expensive.

I just realized I made a typo. :-( The last part is supposed to say "anytime arena" not "anytime turnout." Sorry!

NBEventer 07-02-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenCheval (Post 2952634)
In the future, I want to own my own horse. The stable I ride at offers full boarding, for 450$ a month. Here's what it includes:
A customized feeding plan, but owner pays for their horses supplements.
A mineral salt block
stalls cleaned daily
full day group or solo turnout daily
automatic watering system
scheduled deworming with wormer bought by owner
use of stable farrier and vet, or use your own.
Extra 50 for fly masks and blankets put on for turnout
Extra 10 holding cost for farrier, dental, or vet treatment
35 dollars for an hour of arena rental

Would you consider this a good service for 450 a month?
Stall and pasture, and riding space available.

What area of Canada are you in? I've lived in a few different provinces now so I have a good idea of boarding fees across the country :-)

QueenCheval 07-02-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBEventer (Post 2952986)
What area of Canada are you in? I've lived in a few different provinces now so I have a good idea of boarding fees across the country :-)

I live in Southwestern Ontario, I know that sometimes board can go into the thousands (Like in Toronto)

And I haven't asked my BO about Boarding yet, I just looked on the stable website and this is what I saw. I'm going to ask what she means, but I think that when you "Rent the Arena" Its an hour per day, once a week or something like that in the indoor arena instead of the outdoor one. And It might be entirely to yourself, or with a few other boarders.

Hang on Fi 07-02-2013 05:24 PM

That's pretty standard for my area in Virginia.

We pay $185 a month for field board and being fed once a day. No arena, but a groomed race track available whenever and miles of trails.

The only thing I would have a quarrel about was the arena rental. If I'm paying $450 a month to board my horse, I would expect the arena usage to come with the territory at no additional cost. But that's just my viewpoint :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0