The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   New to horses and have a big problem! (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/new-horses-have-big-problem-224874/)

ejoy 07-02-2013 09:01 PM

New to horses and have a big problem!

Hi, So after lots of begging from my daughter, we got a horse. Yes, I read up on their care, got a vet, and a trainer. We adopted a well trained 20 yr old quarter horse that is great for beginners. Then, about two weeks ago I decided to get a second horse that was larger so I could ride with my daughter. All was going great until my trainer left for two month vacation and the second horse arrived last week. Our second horse is a gelding and 16 yrs old. He is trained and very sweet with us. However, he has been acting a crazy fool since my mare came into heat. He is gelded, but is exhibiting stallion behaviors. My mare and the gelding have been kept seperated. They could see each other to get use to one another. Today, the mare pushed her way through a door to get in with the gelding. He has been mounting her (and doing the deed). His vet paperwork says he is gelded, he has no visible testicles. I did read that they can have a third one or have been proud cut. I am concerned that this is going to be a problem from now on. Should I wait until her next heat cycle to see if he still acts like a stallion? Or is this his behavior? He was used for breeding and gelded at least three years ago. So, other then having the vet check for hormone levels, what other things can I do? Is it going to hurt them to let them mate? I read about infection... Also, they are getting along fine now they are in the same pen together. Thank you!

waresbear 07-02-2013 09:08 PM

He could have retained his testosterone after gelding even if the procedure was done absolutely correctly. I am not & have never been a fan of keeping geldings & mares together, although I have and had a gelding act studly but not mount. Maybe someone else has a solution for you, I don't other than to resell the gelding and get another well trained mare. I doubt another vet can "regeld" him, never heard of that. I have a saying "Mares make geldings do stupid things". I will stand by that statement.

smguidotti 07-02-2013 09:10 PM

I am NO expert on stallions but since no else has responded yet, it is my opinion that you need to correct this behavior asap.

If he was a stud for that long of time he has not forgotten how to be one. If you are new to horses, it is probably best you don't handle/reprimand him when he is doing this for your safety. Is there anyone around who can help you besides your trainer?

At my barn, we have an ex-stud roaming the pasture with other horses and whenever he tries to mount a mare I stomp the ground, shout, ans throw a small rock at him as a last resort (to get my point across) and backs off.

flytobecat 07-02-2013 09:22 PM

I would try to prevent the behavior and separate them. Since he is already exhibited said behavior and was used for breeding I doubt if you will train him out of it completely.

natisha 07-02-2013 10:07 PM

One of my geldings does the deed too, if he gets the chance. We don't give him the chance. He is mannerly while being handled & ridden so separate turnout works well, with a good fence.

Celeste 07-02-2013 10:26 PM

Putting yourself physically between these animals is very dangerous. You can either 1. separate them
2. sell him
3. get your veterinarian out to try and find out what is wrong (best option)
4. nothing-- let them do the dirty

ejoy 07-02-2013 10:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I know not to get around them. They are separated and the gelding is calling to the mare nonstop and is running the fence line. They have been separate the whole four days except for 2 hours when she got in there and I watched to see if they would be ok together. They did hang out and did well. Except the gelding kept mounting the mare. I am keeping them apart. But he is really hard to handle. I tried doing ground work with him away from the mare, he still kept calling and getting distracted. He is acting way to wild and frantic. Im worried he will continue to act this way. The old owners are not returning my calls...hummm makes you wonder. Most important is the fact that he is acting this way around a mare in heat. This is a concern because if he is this bad now, I am worried what will happen if I try to take him to an event later.... Has anyone had a gelding act so herd bound with a mare he just met? Or is he just acting this way cause she is in heat?

Celeste 07-02-2013 10:47 PM

He may have been cryptorchid (had a retained testicle) and they left one in. It is surgically fixable, but expensive. If this is the case, you (or whoever bought him after he was gelded) were deliberately deceived.

He may also just still think he is a stallion. I really don't like this idea of gelding horses late. They should be done by age 2. They learn a lot of stallion like behaviors otherwise.

If you let them in together when the mare is not in heat, she will explain it to him in no uncertain terms and he will behave.

EquineObsessed 07-02-2013 10:49 PM

My guess is that he was gelded later on in life- keep them separated, and congrats on your new horses!

KylieHuitema 07-02-2013 11:10 PM

I would contact a vet. I know for mares that act extra mare-ish and herd bound, they can get injections/medications/etc to help with it. I'm sure there is something on the market for a gelding.

Now this is something new I recently learned (though I wish I hadn't). A local horse trainer uses Melotonin (a hormone for humans that helps with sleep) to calm down her horses. It only works for 30 minutes to an hour. She uses it on all her hot arabs at shows (since it is undetectable in drug tests), or when a smaller kid has a lesson on one. I would ask a professional before using it though. I don't support it, but if the gelding gets truly dangerous, I would drug him when he gets taken out, just for safety. I would ask the vet for better options though.

My gelding was very stallion-ish with a certain mare. He mounted her when he was tied at a trailer with her before, on a 2 ft long rope.. He turned very herd bound and got challenging when separated from her. When he used to get bad, he was thrown on a lunge line and worked until his mind was off of her. Even better, a round pen so you don't have to deal with being dragged, etc etc. If you think you can handle him safely, put him to work. If he tries to take his focus off of you and onto her, work work work him until he gets the picture.

Just my 2 cents at what I would do.