The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   rate how easy horse jumping is to u (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/rate-how-easy-horse-jumping-u-22491/)

Larra98 02-12-2009 10:04 PM

rate how easy horse jumping is to u

rate 1-10 on how easy it is for YOU to jump a horse.
every time i say to my parent "horse jumping" their jaws
drop to the floor! it seems like I've always loved to watch
horse jumping and I'm all over utube on how to jump but
how easy is it reaaly?:?
any replys.
Larra

Supermane 02-12-2009 10:40 PM

Depends on the horse.
Anything small is easy on just about any horse, but as they get higher it changes depending on the horse. My horse, Herbie, its about a 5/10... he is super with distances and never refuses, but he can get quick in the corners and too long down shorter lines so you really have to keep him focused and convince him to shorten his stride.

RockinTheBit07 02-12-2009 11:41 PM

Jumping is extremely hard! Especially since Joe is a turd and will duck out even when he has no reason to. You have to have great confidence in yourself and your horse. And I have become great friends with the dirt ever since i started jumping lol:lol: if 10 is the hardest I would give it an 8. You cant just hop on a horse and jump a fence lol or you could and find out how "soft" that landing really is!

ridingismylife2 02-13-2009 09:46 AM

if it 1-10 and 10 is hardest i would have to say it's about 8.

it's REALLY fun tho :D i haven't fallen off yet while jumping :D

PoohLP 02-13-2009 10:22 AM

I don't think it transfers from person to person and I don't think I could give it a number. There are a lot of things that go into jumping. If you're ready for it, secure in your seat, strong in your legs and balance, confident and you have a good instructor that takes you at the right pace for you. Of course, having a horse that likes to go over jumps, instead of trying to dump you into them also helps. :p

I've always found jumping (or at least the basics of it, ie., going over a fence) pretty easy. The trickiest thing about going over the actual jump is being able to judge distances and find your spot, a skill that you can learn, but also something that some people find much harder than others. But if that part clicks for you, it makes it much easier.

Where gets complex though, is everything that happens in between, especially with you start adding int things like timers, faults, courses with lots of tight twists and turns, and the need to get over jumps without faults. Going through a course is as much about thinking, being smart, knowing when to push and when to sit back and wait, as it is about the physical act of getting over a fence.

The fence may be the sexy part, but it is also the easy part...what you do in between is where you make or break the course.

StormyBlues 02-13-2009 05:25 PM

For me a 2. I can judge a distance ok, and I have a really strong half seat. For you as a beginner, it will be a 10, or hell on earth. You will be SOOOOO sore! lol but it is great to feel like you are flying! I LOVE Jumping and so does Blue!

zanyoutthere 02-13-2009 07:17 PM

i have to say 5. to me, it is just so easy!

Larra98 02-15-2009 10:39 AM

yes, 10 is the hardest.
i still think it is worth it even some of yall rated 10.

Picture Perfect 02-15-2009 07:56 PM

I'd say about a one. It's the easiest part... It's the flatwork between the jumps that makes it a ten. ;-)

MIEventer 02-15-2009 08:11 PM

lol - exactly.

Jumping is dressage with speed bumps.

Jumping is difficult - because there is so much at factor here. Your form, where you are in the saddle. What are you doing in the saddle?

Striding, rhythm, control, functional form - all of it comes together.

Then there is the flat work - riding seat, to legs, to hands. Keeping your horse on their back end, and off of their fore. Softening, suppling and all that great fun :)

GP Level horses can do minimally level 3 dressage.....I have allot of work to do.