The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How is my "pull" job? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-my-pull-job-225002/)

DriftingShadow 07-03-2013 12:55 AM

How is my "pull" job?

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I have pulled manes before but never a mane that was as long as Drifter's! 2 days, six blisters and some blood later (mine, not his haha) and this is the finished result! I pulled it in the traditional fashion. Some friends had advised me to use scissors first but I just didnt trust myself. I am not a big fan of the "scissored" look. It could stand to be touched up some more (we were both sick to death of the process by tonight though) and is a little shorter than I was originally aiming for but overall I'm happy with it. THIS BOY HAD SO MUCH HAIR! I could not believe it. I worked on him about 3 hours last night, and 6 hours today. With breaks in-between. He isnt that patient ha ha.

Let me know what you all think and anything I can do differently for next time! Thanks :) The first pictures are of the final results and the rest were taking during the process

Attachment 224138

Attachment 224146

Attachment 224154

Attachment 224162

Attachment 224170

egrogan 07-03-2013 08:42 AM

Your thread caught my eye, as you may have seen I just posted a very similar thread. I am eager to see what other people have to say on your thread, as I'm still learning.

I can definitely sympathize with having to take off a ton of mane- you're brave to go that short! From my very untrained eye, it looks like there are some uneven parts in the middle of his neck, where it's not consistently the same length. But, if you look at my thread and see my (lack of) skills, you can certainly take my comments with a huge grain of salt :wink:

I agree with you about that "chopped" scissored look- I used the Solo Comb tool for the first time, and as a few people have pointed out to me, I should have "teased" the hair back more than I did to make it look not so scissor-cut. I've been playing around with cleaning it up this week, and it's getting better, but that was my biggest lesson learned.

Overall, I think your boy looks much more comfortable, I'm sure he appreciates that weight being taken off his neck in this heat!

DuckDodgers 07-03-2013 08:55 AM

Ugh, I need to do that...

Your job looks great! It looks like it may be a little longer at the base of his neck than some other parts, but it could just be how the hair is sitting. That happens to me all the time- I KNOW the length is even, but it sticks up more in some places than others!

DriftingShadow 07-03-2013 09:06 AM

Thanks for the critiques! :)

Egrogan I love your horse's mane :) I have done maintenance pulls before but I have never had to pull one that long. That was insane! I have a new respect for all mane pullers hahaha.

As far as the base does, it is a tad longer than the rest. I need I even it out but he was so impatient by the end of it yesterday I figured I would just wait until today to try and tackle that.

Now for the middle sections...those are baffling me because I think it looks uneven but when I actually lay he hairs flat against his neck it all lines up. So I think it is just the way the front part sticks up more. I will take a closer look when I do my touch up today!
Posted via Mobile Device

Shortyrider 07-03-2013 02:37 PM

Looks very nice. Do you compete, because if you don't you don't need to do that.

DriftingShadow 07-03-2013 10:55 PM

He is going to a schooling show soon where a pulled mane is required. So I needed to pull. It has been a long time coming anyways :)

mudpie 07-04-2013 04:42 AM

It looks good! One of the things that I was taught to do is start in the middle and move in either direction because it's a) less sensitive there and b) you can get the mane to the length you want and then adjust the shorter bits accordingly. :)

It looks a little shorter than it may need to be, but let's not even get into how many times I've completely messed up Mudpie's mane ;)