The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Getting Her Tail to grow..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/getting-her-tail-grow-22506/)

sillysally 02-13-2009 10:18 AM

Getting Her Tail to grow.....

I recently got my older QH mare from my uncle's property where she has been living the last few years. While she was there, someone chewed off her tail-when she came to me it was a few inches below the tail bone.

It has grown a few more inches in the last few months, but it is still quite short--I'm concerned about it not be long enough for fly season.

Any tips on getting a tail to grow? She was never one for keeping tail bags on well--I had issues with that even when her tail was long and washing it is out of the question right now because of the cold......

InBox 02-13-2009 12:10 PM

I have heard that MTG works well but i my self have never used it. but i would try this its like a tail bag but is supposed stay on better.
EquiShopper - Everything for Horse and Rider - Centaur Lycra Braid n Tail Bag
it should keep the tail less likely to breakage and the tail will have a more fuller look. Here is a link to MTG
Shapley's Original M-T-G™ - Skin & Coat Care

also not brushing it will keep it looking fuller because wean you brush it it pulls out the dead hairs.

Hope I helped :)

IrishCailin 02-13-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InBox (Post 250386)
I have heard that MTG works well but i my self have never used it. but i would try this its like a tail bag but is supposed stay on better.
EquiShopper - Everything for Horse and Rider - Centaur Lycra Braid n Tail Bag
it should keep the tail less likely to breakage and the tail will have a more fuller look. Here is a link to MTG
Shapley's Original M-T-G - Skin & Coat Care

also not brushing it will keep it looking fuller because wean you brush it it pulls out the dead hairs.

Hope I helped :)

Yepp......^^

Bigjumperlover 02-13-2009 04:56 PM

Conditioning the the dock, and a tail bag will help.

cowgirlfitzy 02-16-2009 03:25 PM

MTG is awesome!!!! I bring like 3 or 4 buckets of hot water out and then wash his tail that way when its cold out. I put the MTG on the tail bone, then I use a some kind of leave in conditioner. I love Sante Fe by absorbine. It is amazing it makes his hair as soft as mine.

Tail bag might help with the flys too. It will make more of an extension but wearing a tail bag in fly season with all the swishing can cause more breakage, or so I've heard.

Good Luck!

kchfuller 02-17-2009 05:57 PM

wash the tail with shampoo-conditioner and then show sheen and then put in a tail bag ... don't leave the tail bag on for too long other wise it can cause breakage ... my mares tail has grown longer and fuller by doing this :)

PoptartShop 02-17-2009 06:10 PM

Definitely try the MTG! :D It really works. Conditioning will help as well.

sorelhorse 02-17-2009 06:53 PM

I have used MTG on my horse, it works good, but is stinky and greesy

equineangel91 02-17-2009 09:48 PM

I've used MTG on my horse. His tail has definitely evened out and grown a bit. I'm happy with the qaulity. He was using a tail wrap, but it kept coming out no matter how good the braid cuz he plays rough in the pasture sometimes, so i used vetwrap instead, and it worked like a charm ;)
good luck

New_image 02-19-2009 03:06 PM

MTG! Its really the only thing that works in my opinion...