The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   surprised (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/surprised-225170/)

SEAmom 07-03-2013 09:13 AM

surprised

I pay slightly above average for my area for full care board. Yesterday there was a note on all the stalls for us to clean off the cobwebs. They recently increased board for the second time in the year I've been there. Last summer I was never asked to do this. I've never been asked to do this anywhere else and I've never seen any place ask, at least the full care boarders, to do this. I do full care for a reason. They're also supposed to fly already add pay off my contract and they don't, even though I provide it myself and it's right on the front of my stall. I did look and there is nothing called out regarding any kind of cleaning or maintenance to the stall. Granted, I was also never asked to sign a contract after this most recent board increase.

Has anyone else seen or have this happen as a full care boarder?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lopin N Paint 07-03-2013 11:58 AM

Personally to me: you pay for full board. Tell them no way.
Your not in charge of or required to do any maintenance and THAT is maintenance to me.

You dont clean your own stall, why have to clean off spider webs?

countercanter 07-03-2013 12:00 PM

Usualku as a boarder, maintenance on the property is not your responsibility, unless your horse breaks something. Check your contract and if it doesnt say anything then bring it up.

Jake and Dai 07-03-2013 12:09 PM

Cobweb cleaning is one of my most hated barn chores at my place. If I were paying full board, I would expect that would be included. :evil: That is, if they had a concern and wanted them cleaned up.

Having said that, when I did board I was very concientious about picking up after my horse, sweeping the aisle when I was done etc. But to me that is quite different from cobwebs. Come to think of it, I don't remember if they ever did keep them cleaned up and I don't remember thinking anything of it.

In my own barn, I hate 'em with a passion, hate cleaning 'em with a passion but it makes me feel better when it's done. :D

Lopin N Paint 07-03-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake and Dai (Post 2959810)
Cobweb cleaning is one of my most hated barn chores at my place. If I were paying full board, I would expect that would be included. :evil: That is, if they had a concern and wanted them cleaned up.

Having said that, when I did board I was very concientious about picking up after my horse, sweeping the aisle when I was done etc. But to me that is quite different from cobwebs. Come to think of it, I don't remember if they ever did keep them cleaned up and I don't remember thinking anything of it.

In my own barn, I hate 'em with a passion, hate cleaning 'em with a passion but it makes me feel better when it's done. :D

I always boarded my horses, but I almost always get myself roped into working at the farms doing daily barn chores. Therefore I feel you, as I've done cobweb duty so many times I lost count. Nothing like burning shoulders, dirt in your eyes, and broken brooms.... But darn the barn looked good when I was done,

wetrain17 07-03-2013 02:40 PM

That, to me, is something any BM should take care of, full care or not. It can be a saftey hazard and should be kept up on. Yeah, its not the funnest thing to do, but its necessary.

SEAmom 07-03-2013 04:27 PM

I've certainly done more than my fair share of barn chores over the years, cobwebs included. I don't mind doing them, but I'm not paying the amount I'm paying to do that stuff myself. Otherwise, I'd go off full care. There are only a handful of full care horses there, so making the self care people do that makes a little more sense. That only leaves her couple of horses and maybe 5 others. Considering she lives in an apt above the barn, I think she should be more concerned keeping up on those herself so her home doesn't burn down.

I feel better now, though. I thought maybe I was overreacting. I'll say something when I go out tomorrow. I hate confrontation, though. Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fowl Play 07-05-2013 10:48 AM

I do a lot of barn chores to offset the cost of boarding 2 horses at an amazing facility, but it is NOT in my boarding agreement if I were paying cash. I don't mind the cobweb doing, but I also don't mind mucking 15 stalls on Saturday morning. The only maintenance our board agreement calls for is us being financially responsible for damage our horse causes. We're not even responsible for the repair, but just the cost.

At our barn, when we have a kid that needs a little help paying for lessons or camp, they spend a few weeks doing chores like this. None of the boarders do, unless they need a little taken off of their board.

Delfina 07-05-2013 11:05 AM

I could see organizing a Barn Party to get something like this done if otherwise a raise in price would occur. Expecting a full care, paying boarder to do it to their stall though is crazy.

Just be aware, refusal may necessitate you needing to find a new boarding facility.

I don't think anyone enjoys cobweb removal. I use a shopvac as much as I can but it's still an ucky, yucky job.

My2Geldings 07-06-2013 10:49 PM

That is not appropriate for them to ask that of you. I have never heard of a barn asking a boarder to do that, thats ridiculous.