The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Frizzy,Stringy,Thin Mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/frizzy-stringy-thin-mane-225210/)

Nocturva 07-03-2013 09:46 AM

Frizzy,Stringy,Thin Mane

So I noticed around the barn that many of my friends have horses with what seems like glossy, full and thick manes that look sleek.

My OTTB's mane is very thin, is very very frizzy on the ends and stringy looking, but what bothers me is how thin it is!

How do you make your horse's manes so thick and sleek?? Is it from pulling the mane and letting it regrow? I don't know how to pull and my horse's neck is very sensitive...

Any tips, tricks on how to achieve a normal looking mane?

Oliveren15 07-03-2013 09:52 AM

Do you condition your horses mane when you give him a bath? I find that helps a lot. Also I'd invest in a good detangler, so that when you brush his mane, fewer hairs get ripped out. Have you considered roaching it completely? Maybe the hair is just not that healthy and needs to come off so that healthy hair can regrow in its place? I had to do that with my horses forelock, it was tangly and nasty and knotted and pretty much dead so I hacked most of it off. He looks a bit derpy, but I'd rather that than an unhealthy mane :) Plus it will grow back healthier :)

Nocturva 07-03-2013 09:59 AM

I do condition his mane and when I brush it, it's so thin and scraggly almost no hairs really get ripped out... but it does look dead and lifeless so I am thinking that I should just roach it off, Do i just to it with electric clippers?

Nocturva 07-03-2013 10:00 AM

But I read somewhere that you shouldn't roach a mane that's already thin? is that true?
My avatar is a picture of him and as you can see its kind of thin, wavy and matted down.. How do other people's horses have straight thick perfect manes?

Oliveren15 07-03-2013 10:16 AM

Its in the gene pool. Some horses get nice thick manes and tails, and others get thin and easily matted ones. Depending how long it is, I'd cut the majority off with scissors, maybe to about 2 or 3 inches, and then take the rest off with clippers. I don't see why you cant roach a thin mane, I've had friends who have done it and nothing bad happened lol. And who knows, maybe you'll like his mane roached ;)

Boo Walker 07-03-2013 10:18 AM

MTG works great for me!

Shortyrider 07-03-2013 06:47 PM

Mane thickness depends on the breed of horse. If he doesn't compete no action is really necessary because you could make it worse. I recommend keeping it in braids. My horses mane is braided a lot and he has the thickest mane at his barn. I actually have to pull it to keep it manageable. Make sure that your horse isn't rubbing against things. If he is rubbing his tail he may have worms.

Reaching his mane won't be bad but it will look bad. Only horses with thick manes can pull of the roached look. Your horse also should have a more a arched neck to look good in a roach.

Hope that helps

Nocturva 07-07-2013 08:58 AM

I'm going to try the MTG because he did have fungas on his tail, it was losing hair so I used MTG on it and he doesn't rub it anymore..

So I'm going to try it on his mane and let you guys know, as far as Im aware I never see him rubbing his mane, plus its been like this since i got him so he may just have a thin mane in general

but thank you all for the advice much appreciated :)

Nocturva 07-07-2013 08:59 AM

Oh and Ill try braiding it instead of roaching

Iseul 07-07-2013 09:14 AM

Shortyrider, it won't necessarily look bad, especially after about an inch grows back.

I roached my mare's mane (and have been letting it grow 4" before I do so again) and I think it looks great. I can shape the mohawk to give an optical illusion that her neck is nicely arched and her ewe neck isn't as noticable. But, her mane is also thin (a bit thicker down her neck, but not real thick), along with her horrible neck.

I did notice that the hair itself grew back thicker than before I had roached it. Next go-around I'll be roaching and then conditioning with a betadine scrub and then MTG every other day for two weeks. But, the base of her mane won't get any thicker, you can, however, thicken the individual strands..In which I would roach, just because it's easier to see the progress.
Posted via Mobile Device