The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   **Saddle Pad Suggestions for Down Hill Horse** (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/%2A%2Asaddle-pad-suggestions-down-hill-horse%2A%2A-225378/)

ReinerAnGamer 07-03-2013 02:04 PM

**Saddle Pad Suggestions for Down Hill Horse**

I have been looking into different saddle pads and im really liking the ones with open cell foam on the bottom or fleece (wool and felt make my mare itchy and cause her to get bumps!! :cry:) my mare has big shoulders and not very promanent withers and is also built SLIGHTLY down hill, i am looking for a pad that will help lift my saddle off her shoulders possibly? these are three of the pads ive been looking at, let me know what you think and if you have expierience with any of them or any other pad that might help please!! :D:D:D

Classic Equine=

Classic Equine=

Classic Equine=

I may break down and buy a CSI pad they are a little out of my price range :-o:oops: but ive heard gret things about them!

Shortyrider 07-03-2013 02:11 PM

Csi pads are amazing. Stop by a near tack store and ask what they suggest.

Saddlebag 07-03-2013 03:05 PM

You are shopping for the wrong item. You need either a crupper or mule breeching, also known as spider breeching. Either one will hold the saddle from crawling forward. Trying to compensate with a pad will cause the saddle to float up onto the shoulder blades.

ReinerAnGamer 07-03-2013 03:13 PM

sorry, should have been more specific, I dont have trouble with the saddle rolling or sliding forward, i just want to have it lifted off her shoulders a bit more.

Saddlebag 07-03-2013 05:35 PM

Are you placing the saddle on her back or on the shoulder blades? From your description the saddle is on the shoulder blades which is incorrect. The bars, not the skirts, need to be about two fingers behind the shoulder blades.

cowgirlnay 07-31-2013 06:36 PM

5 Star pads are the BEST. I ride a cutter, and my saddle or pad never moves, plus they are very good at wicking away the sweat on the horse's back, keeping them more cool.