The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Falls/breed/discipline? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/falls-breed-discipline-22545/)

RockinTheBit07 02-13-2009 10:38 PM

Falls/breed/discipline?

So I was thinking today about how many times i have fallen off versus how many helmets i have broken from falling off and how i need to stop falling off! lol But I thought it would be interesting if we posted:
1. How many times have you fallen off? (or estimate number)
2. What breed of horse(s) were you on when you fell off? (or the most on a certain breed?)
3. What discipline (or activity) where you doing when you fell off? (or the discipline that you most feel off doing)
4. How long have you been riding?
And anything else you may want to add!

I thought this would be a good study to see what breed/discipline most of us fall off doing:wink:.

I will go first!
I have fallen off like around 40 or so times?
Almost all my falls were on TBs! I had ONE time I was on an Oldenburg lmao.
And I would say jumping is where most falls come, but lately it has been just riding on the flat lol.
I have been riding for about 6-7 years

So go on tell us!!!

appylover31803 02-13-2009 11:45 PM

This should be fun!
I've fallen off, i believe 3 times
2. What breed of horse(s) were you on when you fell off? (or the most on a certain breed?)
Gem-Appaloosa, Purdy- POA, Thunder- quarter horse?
3. What discipline (or activity) where you doing when you fell off? (or the discipline that you most feel off doing)
Gem I was just walking around and he spooked and lept into the air. Got most of it on video.
Purdy-I was in a lesson and we were going over this jump, it was like very low to the ground. At the last minute she ducked out and I fell off.

Thunder was the very first horse I rode. In like the 3rd lesson or something I was determined to make him go through a puddle. He had second thoughts and I fell off and landed in the puddle.
I've been riding for 13 years.

The only fall that i got sorta hurt in was falling off Gem.I hurt my back and was sore for a while.I've never had broken bones or anything *knocks on wood*

RockinTheBit07 02-15-2009 12:41 AM

I dont know why i fall off all the time lol and i always land on my head, i guess my head weighs a lot?:lol: Must mean i am really smart :wink::mrgreen: right??lol

Keep them coming everyone!! I am conducting a scientific theory!!:lol::shock::wink:

theroyalset 02-15-2009 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I only ride TB's, so I have only ever fallen off them. I have fallen too many times to count, but the falls that stick out in my mind are the following:
Riding my sister's TB who spooked at the tractor and bucked me off.
Stupid fall whilst getting onto my TB at a hunt, he moved and I went over the other side.:oops:
Going over a jump, my horse tripped as he landed and I came down, broke a collar bone.
My other horse ducked out of a cross country jump, reared and then spun to the left, I spun to the right (pic below).
Horse threw a huge buck going over another cross country jump, I flew but no injury.
Horse stopped at a showjumping jump, then jumped from a standstill, again I flew but no injury.

I have been riding since I was 6, but only properly riding and competing for the last 12 years.

happygoose123 02-15-2009 03:47 AM

LOL!!! rockinthebit07 i always fall of too and onto my head as well! lol us smart people have to be more careful lol!!!

Ive fallen off about a hundred million times. no not really but ive fallen off enough to have lost count!!!

I was on a QHxSH (banjo) everytime but 2. the other two was off a paint (chucky)
half the time banjo bucked/pigrooted and the other half was jsut me being careless lol! and the two times i fell off chucky was, all the horses i was riding with spooked from a bird and chucks saddles slipped along with me and i just plonked onto the ground (that was soo funny!) and the other time was i was cantering him the he decided to take a quick turn and start galloping for no reason!!! I fell hard on my hip and my head and my hip has never been the same. oh well lol! But i ALWAYS get straight back on! except the last time i fell which was the second time i fell off chuck, i was in too much pain!!! I havent fallen off a horse since then and its been a bit more than a year. go me!!!!
Ive been riding for about 6 or 7 years

I dont understand how you appylover have been riding for 13 years and only fallen off 3 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pinto Pony 02-15-2009 08:14 AM

1. How many times have you fallen off? (or estimate number) around 8-10 times, not a lot, I tend to hang on rather well haha.
2. What breed of horse(s) were you on when you fell off? (or the most on a certain breed?) Pinto Ponies!!!
3. What discipline (or activity) where you doing when you fell off? (or the discipline that you most fell off doing) showjumping, usually in public!
4. How long have you been riding? oh, about 20+ years now

Wallaby 02-15-2009 03:26 PM

1. How many times have you fallen off? (or estimate number) I've fallen off maybe 8 times... 2. What breed of horse(s) were you on when you fell off? (or the most on a certain breed?) I've fallen off 2 or three times on an appendix quarter horse, once on a Appy cross and 3ish times on a POA 3. What discipline (or activity) where you doing when you fell off? (or the discipline that you most feel off doing) With the QH I was just cantering, he was really old and must have had some arthritis going on or something... I was jumping the Appy and somehow ended up on her neck... And the POA I was just trail riding, one time we were trotting and he just kinda spun out from under me, another time he slipped going up hill and fell to his knees and I kinda rolled off and the third time we ended up in a patch of fire ants and he started bucking and freaking out and I came off and he kicked me in the head and jumped over me. My trainer liked to say that when I was riding that POA I was really hanging off his side, only holding on to his mane cuz she couldn't understand how I could have come off so many times in 5 weeks doing the lamest things. LOL! 4. How long have you been riding? I've been riding for about 10 years.

travlingypsy 02-15-2009 08:06 PM

I have fallen off 6 times (that I was old enough to remember)

First time I was getting on my Arabian bareback, I hit his side where he had been kick and he bucked me off..Oh wait does that count as a fall or being thrown off? Anyway I hit the ground.

The other FIVE times I was on Gypsy TB mare, doing flat work. Ive never fallen off jumping so im just waiting for that to hit me in the face.

Ive been riding off and on since I was 7yrs

appylover31803 02-15-2009 08:21 PM

I dont know how I've only fallen off 3 times. There have been some close calls on quite a few horses, but I always manage to stay on.

tempest 02-15-2009 08:30 PM

4 times unless you count an emergency dismount, because then it's 5.

Morgan, it was the same horse for all of them except for the emergency dismount. That one was a Saddlebred.
I was riding huntseat for 2 of them and bareback for the other ones.
About 5 1/2 years.

I pity the next person who tries to show that Morgan. He was a living devil in the show arena. Appylover was doing good. It took me 3 1/2 years before I fell off at all. And from there on out it was all downhill for me on that horse.