The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   I'm riding my first horse this friday : ) (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/im-riding-my-first-horse-friday-225450/)

Tobias 07-03-2013 03:03 PM

I'm riding my first horse this friday : )

I am super exited and can't wait,though I am a little afraid since I'm new to the whole thing.

What r the pros and cons for a beginner?

any advice u guys have would be appreciated!

kenda 07-03-2013 03:05 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

What kind of ride are you having? A lesson, or a trail ride?

Either way, listen closely to your instructor/guide, relax and have fun!

Tobias 07-03-2013 03:10 PM

I think it's a trail ride

Undante 07-03-2013 05:16 PM

wear comfortable pants!!

amberly 07-03-2013 05:41 PM

Pro's:
it is a ton of fun
if you don't like trotting or you think it is too rough, go into a lope. At the beginning of summer two years ago I was deathly afraid of trotting because I was afraid I would bounce out of the saddle or something. Now I can't stop loping because it is just so dang smooth and beautiful!!

Con's:
you won't be that experienced - so maybe have someone ride him and warm him up before you get on. My horse Golley, is now going to be used by my friend. Golley doesn't fight you and he always wants to please you. I was warming him up for my friend because she isn't good with horsesyet. Anyways - I was riding him and right as I was going into a lope, He bucked. From then end of the arena to the other end. It was scary but fun at the same time.

Make sure to wear a helmet too!! Always wear boots around horses. Ride in long but comfy pants.
Don't let the horse invade your space, drag behind or get too far ahead when you lead him.
Groundwork him first before you get on so he is listening to you on the ground. If the horse isn't listening to you on the ground - there is no way he will listen to you on his back.

If you need any more help or advice pleas let me know!!

sparklefox 07-03-2013 06:40 PM

I'd imagine if this is your first ride whoever you're going with would put you on a pretty bombproof horse; enjoy yourself, listen to your instructor and buy some muscle soothing bath oil for afterwards! :-D

Good tip about the pants haha!

Becca93 07-03-2013 07:46 PM

Relax, listen to your instructor, wear comfortable pants and HAVE FUN!

pinkbow 07-03-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobias (Post 2960946)
I am super exited and can't wait,though I am a little afraid since I'm new to the whole thing.

What r the pros and cons for a beginner?

any advice u guys have would be appreciated!

Okay soo here's what to expect:
- It's a lot harder than it looks! But it is so fun and relaxing and worth learning.
- Focus on balancing... You'll learn as you go that it gets easier and you'll gain more confidence.
- There is this thing at my ranch that we teach beginners in riding, called the ABC's of riding:

A, awareness of other riders and other horses.
B, Balance.
C, control... You have to learn how to be in control of the horse.

I hope this helped and good luck :)

Kmk 07-05-2013 08:57 AM

When I taught beginner riders one of the biggest thing I had to remind them was be a DRIVER, not a PASSENGER. You need to be in control of your horse just as you would be in control of a car. Even if this is a trail ride where all the horses follow the main trail guide, you still need to be aware of what is going on and where everyone else is.

Tobias 07-05-2013 05:46 PM

NOODLES!Today was a blast!Getting on the horse was so scary but riding him felt awesome,although we went slow and he followed the instructor lol.

But boy it was quite an experience!Thanks so much for all the advice everyone!