The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/supplements-22546/)

allflashypine 02-13-2009 11:55 PM

Supplements

What are some supplements that everyone uses? I have several show horses (2-5 yr olds) and some yearlings...nothing old that needs matienance...what would be some good supplements for them? I have them on a couple right now but just want to see what everyone else uses.

koomy56 02-14-2009 01:17 AM

Not much other than some enzymes to help with digestion. I give one of my mare's raw pumpkin seeds for the magnesium, which helps to calm. I also use Thera Cell's product for an multi-vitamin supplement and one that's called Equilibrium which helps reduce stress or anxiety and hopefully helps her to focus.
Thera CellEQ - Whole Food Organic Supplements Formulated for Performance Horses - Whole Food: It's Alive!

mayfieldk 02-14-2009 01:44 AM

My show horse is on a hoof supplement (Masters Hoofblend) which I can't say enough good things about.
He's also on a coat supplement for the first time (Grand coat), and a digestive/ulcer preventative supplement, SmartDigest Ultra.

My foal/yearling is on a vit. supplement, seeing as grass/hay is usually bad quality here in the winter!

Peggysue 02-14-2009 10:47 AM

I use Kent's Horsego32 (Ration balancer) which includes the amino acid profile needed for muscle !!

allflashypine 02-15-2009 10:37 AM

Does anyone use kelp, Utah sea salt, Flax seed, corn oil, Farnam products, beet pulp, or anything else like that?

koomy56 02-15-2009 10:40 AM

We use beet pulp. And flax seed. And sometimes corn oil. We have used kelp in the past with horses that need it. I used to feed Source, which is in the same category as kelp. We feed salt but never used sea salt. :)
We also feed rice bran. All of ours are a bit on the pudgy side right now, but super super shiny. lol

NoFear526 02-15-2009 12:34 PM

The only supplements I've ever used was Gro' N' Win for babies.

:)

Peggysue 02-15-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFear526 (Post 251540)
The only supplements I've ever used was Gro' N' Win for babies.

:)

Gro N Win is not just for babies it is GREAT for all horses... just remember not to feed other fortified feeds with it ..

Got2Gallop 02-15-2009 05:19 PM

I give Lily Grand Hoof (for lovely hooves of course :wink:) and Yea-Sacc (digestive aid)

luvs2ride1979 02-16-2009 01:41 PM

It depends on what you're feeding them. If they get the recommended amounts of concentrates (fortified feed or grain) for their age and weight and the hay you're feeding is high quality, then she shouldn't need any supplementation.

If you're feeding less than the recommended amount of concentrates and/or your hay isn't top quality (fertilized and tested), then you might need a general vitamin supplement.

Horses that are stalled should get probiotics and a calcium supplement (or alfalfa pellets) to keep the gut healthy and prevent ulcers. Free choice grass hay while stalled is a good idea for that too, and to keep stall boredom to a minimum. Horses that travel a lot should also get the same to prevent stress ulcers.

My horses are pleasure horses (moderate work, little to no travel). They get a diet of high quality Bermuda grass hay (25-30 lbs a day), 1.5 lbs of Alfalfa pellets, a general vitamin supplement, and 1 cup of a custom blend from horsetech.com: Nutra Flax w/BioFlax mixed in.

The Flax/Biotin combo provides healthy fat, keeps their feet healthy in our muddy pasture, and keeps a nice sheen to their coats even in the winter.

The general supplement is to supplement for selenium, which our soil is low in, and a "just in case" to cover all the bases (I take multi-vitamins daily too). Right now I'm feeding GrandVite. I've also had good luck with Balance II, Select II, and Smart Pak's SmartVite Maintenence Grass.