The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Horse not sweating much (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/horse-not-sweating-much-225490/)

Faustinblack 07-03-2013 06:28 PM

Horse not sweating much

I've noticed Rikki isn't sweating like he normally does. What should I do?
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 07-03-2013 06:35 PM

What does he normally sweat like?
How long do you usually ride him for and what is the sweat like after each ride for the same time??
What are the temperatures each time you ride him and he sweats?
Could you kind of describe almost a before and after of him sweating?

Faustinblack 07-03-2013 06:39 PM

I usually ride him for an hour and his neck and flanks are pretty sweaty, and there is sweat dripping from under his saddle pad. But now the only sweat that is showing is under his saddle pad and his girth. He was sweating his normal until like a week ago when the temps were going into the hundreds.
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 07-03-2013 06:43 PM

So he was sweating less as the temperature was getting higher?

How muggy is it there??

Faustinblack 07-03-2013 06:45 PM

It's doesn't feel muggy to me at all, but it might be to him. I've only had him for three months and he's from west texas where it is pretty dry
Posted via Mobile Device

tlkng1 07-03-2013 06:46 PM

The weather has been pretty weird on the south and eastern coasts this year and I know from when I lived in Louisiana that occasionally the humidity levels can shut down a horse's sweat mechanism....I am just guessing here so don't take that as a fact. A few things you can do to help: wet down his chest and flanks before you ride; increase, or add, an electrolyte to the feed..this may help increase sweating but will also increase water intake..neither of which are a bad thing :). It may also sound strange and I would check with your vet but we had a horse come down from New England to Louisiana in the high heat of summer and his sweat mechanism completely turned off. The vet "prescribed" a 12 oz can of beer a day added to his feed...it worked; again, do NOT do this unless under the care of a vet. He wasn't the best sweater but at least he did sweat. Avoid riding during the high heat of the day...get rides in before 10 am and after 6 pm...obviously don't overdo it and be aware of the horse's status. If the horse is blowing very hard and isn't easing, dismount and get him cooled down...slowly. Warm water rinse, start at the legs then work the water up to shoulders and back. Never use cold water on a non-sweater if they are really hot..or any horse for that matter.

Faustinblack 07-03-2013 06:48 PM

I'm just worried because I bought Rikki for endurance, and if he has issues sweating...
Posted via Mobile Device

tlkng1 07-03-2013 07:00 PM

If he was sweating before it is probably just temporary. If mother nature ever decides to even out this humidity kick she is on, even up here in Maryland it is like breathing soup, feels like I am back in New Orleans, it may resolve on its own.

amberly 07-03-2013 07:10 PM

Up in the northwest is also super humid. I'm dying inside my house with our three fans on full! We don't have air condition because, hey! It's always cold here!

phantomhorse13 07-06-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 2961914)
Never use cold water on a non-sweater if they are really hot..or any horse for that matter.

Just about every endurance rider I know here on the East coast (esp those with heavier breeds like Morgans) uses massive amounts of ice water on their horses in a hold. Depending on the horse you may not hit their hindquarters with the cold water, but it goes everywhere else! Throwing cold water on a hot horse and then scraping that water off is by far the most effective cooling method I have found (tho it's always nice when someone brings a big fan too, but generally no electric where holds are).

To the OP, does where you ride have access to water (streams, water tanks, a friendly neighbor who would let you use a hose?). If so, bring along a sponge or a scoop so that you can wet down your horse during the ride. That helps a lot.