The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   question about feeding paprika -- can I mix it in with flax seed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/question-about-feeding-paprika-can-i-22579/)

Jubilee Rose 02-14-2009 05:48 PM

question about feeding paprika -- can I mix it in with flax seed?

I'd like to try giving Jubilee paprika to enhance her bay-coloured coat, and I have a question...

All the boarders at my barn take turns feeding the horses each day. I keep a container of ground flax seed on the shelf above the feed fridge and when she gets fed, a scoop of flax gets added to her grain. I was just wondering, to make it easier ... could I mix the ground paprika in with the ground flax seed, so that I wouldn't need a new container? Do you think it would be okay mixed, and if so, how much paprika should I add to the flax seed? She gets one scoop of flax seed (probably about a 1/8 cup) a day.

Thanks!

ElDorado 02-14-2009 10:58 PM

I ration out my stuff in little plastic sandwich baggies. One for each feeding.

Jubilee Rose 02-16-2009 08:57 AM

ElDorado, I did that before when she had to take meds, but I find a container with a scoop in it so much easier. :wink:

Sliding4ever 02-16-2009 10:19 PM

Which oil is it that's suppose to make their coat shiney without putting weight on them?

Jubilee Rose 02-17-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sliding4ever (Post 252715)
Which oil is it that's suppose to make their coat shiney without putting weight on them?

I don't really understand what you mean. Could you explain your question more?

Sliding4ever 02-17-2009 06:25 PM

Well I thought/heard that theres an oil that you could add to their feed that will help make their coat shiny. But I thought that there was another that put weight on them too. I saw it posted somewhere but don't remember where or even if it was this board.

Jubilee Rose 02-22-2009 07:11 PM

Sliding4ever, I think some people add corn oil in their horses' feed. That helps with weight and shininess I believe.

But does anyone know about mixing paprika and flax seed??