The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horse racing is not cruel!!!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-racing-not-cruel-22580/)

StormyBlues 02-14-2009 06:27 PM

Horse racing is not cruel!!!!!!

Wow, this is my rant about how Peta has totally blown up the whole "Racing horses is cruel!" Thing. The thing is, anyone who says horse racing is cruel, knows nothing about racing, race horses, tracks, the backside, owners and trainers. Racehorses are treated like kings and queens. Their beds of straw are at least a foot thick. They get freash hay and water all day long. They have their legs wraped and blankets on all the time. They arn't started to early, two is a perfect age, I think. The horse might still be growing, but some horses grow until the age of 8! They are fed three times daily, their feed probably costs more than a meal at a five star resturant. The people who take care of them love them, and never want to see them lose or get hurt, and if they are hurt, they will do anything in their power to heal that horse. The trainer's know what they are doing, belive it or not. They train a horse, knowing everything that is going on with it at all times. The owners love their horses, always. They want the best for their horse, and cry when it goes down. They rejoice when they win, and cry when they lose. The jockeys also love riding the horse, and they know the horse and its personality. These horses are treated amazingly, yes there are acedents, but none more than in eventing, jumping, barrel racing, and pole bending.
rant over.

Spastic_Dove 02-14-2009 07:56 PM

First off, I hate Peta.

I grew up around race horses, so I understand the treatment that goes into these horses. But I do think that it needs to be regulated. They should NOT be racing two year olds just like they should not be riding 2 year olds in reining cow horse or whatever discipline.
There needs to be regulations on the whole January 1st birthday thing too, IMO.
There are a lot of good owners are just like you described, they love their horses and they hate to see anything bad happen to them.
But, there are a LOT of bad owners too. The owners are buissinessmen, not horse lovers and when a horse breaks down or isn't making the cut, they drop the horse. This happens a lot more in horse racing, since it is so hard to get that triple crown winner everyone wants.

So long story short, there are problems in every discipline. Racing is not cruel like PETA and a lot of people think, but it does need to become regulated. Some tracks are really taking a step in the right direction as far as abusive trainers/owners go and hopefully they will begin to take steps to regulate the ages/distances.

StormyBlues 02-14-2009 08:59 PM

Yes, I do agree on the Jan. 1 birthday thing. That is why we were praying Ariel's foal wouldn't be premeaturly born in December, cause then it would be one! I have never once met an owner that does that kind of (excuse me) crap. Around here we really care. It's more people in the big racing states.

tempest 02-14-2009 09:05 PM

It goes the same with what happened to Eight Bells, Big Brown, and Barbaro.
PETA has no right to blame Eight Bells's jockey or trainer for what happened to her. It was a freak incident, it could happen to any horse. Eight Bells's jockey did not push her too hard. If Eight Bells hadn't felt well enough to run that day, she wouldn't have and no force in the world could have made her.

tempest 02-14-2009 09:06 PM

Sorry if any of you take offense to that statement. My apologies if you do.

Spastic_Dove 02-14-2009 09:14 PM

Yeah, I was in the big race states so I've seen some pretty crap owners. It's not everyone.

And for what Tempest said, those horses LOVE to run, I've seen horses that love their job want to keep doing it even though they're injured. It wasnt the jockeys fault or anything,I agree, it was because that horse was built like a twig.

PETA just aggravates me. People don't understand horse racing or rodeo and only get to see the bad accidents/people through PETA. It's not a fair image of the industry.

StormyBlues 02-14-2009 09:25 PM

Yea, theses horses LOVE running, Ariel does it almost daily in her pasture for fun! She loves running around!

smrobs 02-14-2009 09:27 PM

I have nothing against horse racing itself because it is an amazing sport but I do not agree with a lot of the things that they do. With any discipline, I believe that they should wait until the horse is at least 3 before asking for any strenuous work. They need to start breeding the TB's for more longevity and toughness of the breed instead of streamlining them by breeding smaller bones and flatter feet with more muscle. That, I believe, is the basis of all the problems with the racing industry. Most of the time, the horses' bodies are just not built to withstand that much pressure and that is why we see horses breaking down in nearly every race. I understand that bone fractures, bowed tendons, and blown ligaments happen but how often is normal? In my mind, they need to start breeding a sturdier line that will last longer and be tougher even if they loose a little bit of speed. Like Big Brown; yeah, he runs fast and well but he has a serious foot problem that may end up being genetic. They are putting him out to stud where that abnormality could be passed on to hundreds of foals and will soon be spread through the entire breed, weakening it. I love to watch them run but it just breaks my heart to know that many of them suffer career or even life ending injuries. Anyway, that is my rant on horseracing and I meant no offense if anyone gets offended.

Kentucky 02-14-2009 09:32 PM

"The owners are buissinessmen, not horse lovers and when a horse breaks down or isn't making the cut, they drop the horse. This happens a lot more in horse racing, since it is so hard to get that triple crown winner everyone wants."

If they were not business people how would they feed their families and the others would depend on them. Ranchers, and horse breeders of any breeder are the same way. If they didn't want a Triple Crown winner, why are they in the race business. The ones who are good to their horses usually have more winners than the ones who only care about the money.

i hate PETA too.

StormyBlues 02-14-2009 10:23 PM

Yea, most breeders breed for quantity more than quantity. I agree that we really need to look at confo and stuff. Maybe we could help the future of the buissness!