The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Is this a good breed for endurance? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/good-breed-endurance-225898/)

hisangelonly 07-04-2013 09:42 AM

Is this a good breed for endurance?

I think we have come to the conclusion that my Arabian gelding sadly won't be able to be my endurance horse due to navicular pain. He's 16. He will just be my show horse. My other option for an endurance mount is a 10 year old appendix gelding. He's still underweight right now. But you can barely see his ribs. I rode him a little bit the other day and he's a big ball of energy! Just wants to go! He walks with a purpose but he's very controllable. He's built a lot like a tb. A bit uphill in build and good muscling in his rear end. I'll have to put a picture on here later today. He's a hair under 16 hands. Has anyone ever had or heard of an appendix successfully competing in endurance or limited distance? This horse will also be my show horse and maybe barrels. I ride English and western. Also he basically has a shark fin. I don't know if this will change when he gets up to his normal weight and gets a top line?
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 07-04-2013 09:58 AM

While I am sure you will get some people that will chime in on how cowboy bill did all kinds of super duper things and won stuff on QH's the thing to remember is the rules have changed drastically sense alot of QH's were run successfully in endurance , for one there simply wernt many arabians in the US during the cold war. Not to mention "fit to continue" meant horse crossed finish line not dead,
while not ideal, the horse you have on hand is way better than one you dont. Biggest issue with TB and QH is getting them to pulse down in a timely manner. Lots more work and you will have to manage the ride differently. You will also need to pick your rides and avoid the hotter more humid ones. Elyte management will also need to be more critical. If you can rate him on the trail especially at the start get him in shape and go for it. Find out what it takes to get him to pulse down to 60bpm, and manage the rides accordingly.

DancingArabian 07-04-2013 11:08 AM

It really depends on how competitive you want to be. If you're trying to place every run you might be better off with a horse already conditioned for or bred for endurance. There's sometimes non Arabian winners but Arabians are like the go-to for the sport, just like QHs are the go-to for barrels.

In short, if conditioned properly your horse may be able to do it. However how well be will do it is something else.
Posted via Mobile Device

hisangelonly 07-04-2013 11:40 AM

I'm just wanting to do mainly 25 and 35 maybe a 50 one day. I have a friend with a little paso fino that's awesome at it. I just wanna be able to do rides with her. Since he's still underweight, it will be a little while before I can even start conditioning. But he doesn't have a top line right now of course but does a fully fit top line and neck muscle matter a lot in endurance? Does a ewe neck affect them at all?
Posted via Mobile Device

hisangelonly 07-04-2013 11:41 AM

It's hard to tell if he's ewe necked or just extremely under muscled at this point. Also do treeless saddles work well with high withers?
Posted via Mobile Device

Iseul 07-04-2013 12:11 PM

I don't know all too much about endurance just yet (just started looking into it), but I plan to take my OTTB to a few rides after we get back to riding consistently. I feel as though she cools down relatively quickely, but I couldn't tell you what her pulse is right now..lol.
I was told she'll get too hot being as she's a dark bay/brown, but I honestly don't think her coat is going to make her any hotter than a lighter coat. And she knows how to take care of her own feet and legs, which is my biggest reason for looking into it.
Posted via Mobile Device

hisangelonly 07-04-2013 12:57 PM

I haven't taken him on the trails yet. I don't wanna work him hard right now. So i don't know how he is with placing his feet or cooling down
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 07-04-2013 01:26 PM

It sounds like he's far off from this being something to even consider right now. Get him muscled and fit, and see how things go.

High withers can cause a problem for treeless saddles, just like they can cause a problem for treed saddles.

Joe4d 07-04-2013 01:32 PM

assuming you are talking AERC, endurance starts at 50 miles, and in actuality a 35 mile LD is much harder than a 50 endurance. Especially for heavier breeds with pulse down issues. Non show lines Pasos have alot of old world spanish arabian in them and can be pretty sturdy horses,

hisangelonly 07-04-2013 01:35 PM

Why is a 35 harder than a 50
Posted via Mobile Device