The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   bute (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/bute-22590/)

pat 02-14-2009 10:08 PM

bute

im having problems giving my horse bute (she went thru a fence and severed her flexi tendon ) i am looking for some tricks to hide the smell of bute in her feed tried mollasses and apples etc.bought bute paste but at the moment can,t paste her either. so im injecting her with another pain relief but it is going to work out very expensive
anyone got any ideas thanks pat

eventnwithwinston 02-14-2009 10:49 PM

Why cant you paste her? Its not hard at all...my mom is a first timer and did it with my horse and his dewormer...

ElDorado 02-15-2009 07:00 AM

My one horse will refuse to eat anything that has even the sightest hint of bute in it. What I did was save a bunch of empty wormer tubes and fill them with just applesauce. You have to use a non chunky kind and cut the tips off the tubes. I'd give him a couple tubes untill he thought he was just getting treats. Then I took one tube and put in the dose of bute and filled it the rest of the way with applesauce and gave it to him. He barely noticed. Then I would finish up with a couple tubes of just applesauce.

happygoose123 02-15-2009 07:30 AM

Chucky had to be on bute for a few months. at first i was hiding it in a peice of bread with honey. after a while he wouldnt eat that so i hid it in a couple of handfuls of copra. After a while he stoped eating that too so i mixed it up with water and gave it to him like a wormer. I had trouble giving it to him like that too. what i did was put on his halter and hold it right under his chin to keep his head as still as possible and i stuck my finger in the side of his mouth where the bit goes. they open their mouths, and i stuck in the tube and squirted it in the held his head high so he couldnt spit it out. You have to be be quick and you might have to wrestle a bit lol but as long as your quick it should work. it might take a couple of practice runs first. you might prefer to mix it with apple sauce but i just used water.

PaintHorseMares 02-15-2009 07:44 AM

Our mare Lady will not eat grain, sweet feed, or even her favorite apples if it has any medicine in it either. We mix the medicine with water or thinned apple sauce and use the empty wormer or 60ml syringes.

Vidaloco 02-15-2009 08:29 AM

I have had very good luck with an easy wormer bit at administering any type of paste medication. I would suggest getting one and mixing the powder with applesauce or something similar. This place has them the cheapest I have found. Horse De-Wormers for Horses, Ponies & Other Equines: Easy Wormer Bit & Syringe
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/112...062-wormer.jpg
Just FYI be sure to fill the bit before you put it in the horses mouth. That way you don't have to be coming at the mouth with a tube in hand. Just depress the plunger and its done.

bgood400 02-15-2009 09:28 AM

I don't quite understand why you cant give her paste either. If the horse is throwin its head or just not cooperating put a chain over its nose and if you cant do it with that get someone to help you. I think you would be better off getting a little more aggressive with the horse than having to pay a ton of money to give it injections.

G and K's Mom 02-16-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood400 (Post 251497)
I don't quite understand why you cant give her paste either. If the horse is throwin its head or just not cooperating put a chain over its nose and if you cant do it with that get someone to help you. I think you would be better off getting a little more aggressive with the horse than having to pay a ton of money to give it injections.

I agree. I don't get not being able to give a paste. Does the horse not know how to yield it's head?

pat 02-18-2009 03:15 AM

Hi thanks for your suggestions im now using injections
my horse is slightly head shy i do not want to cause more agravation to her back leg trying to get bute into her.

Walkamile 02-18-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDorado (Post 251455)
My one horse will refuse to eat anything that has even the sightest hint of bute in it. What I did was save a bunch of empty wormer tubes and fill them with just applesauce. You have to use a non chunky kind and cut the tips off the tubes. I'd give him a couple tubes untill he thought he was just getting treats. Then I took one tube and put in the dose of bute and filled it the rest of the way with applesauce and gave it to him. He barely noticed. Then I would finish up with a couple tubes of just applesauce.

Yes, this works great! Both my horses are wonderful (thank god) with pastes, but my friend did the above recommended and now her horses practically lick their lips when they see a tube!

Good luck Pat.