The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Do you rug your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/do-you-rug-your-horse-225930/)

SeamusCrimin 07-04-2013 10:31 AM

Do you rug your horse?

I don't rug my ponies, mostly because they're native/moorland ponies and have quite the winter coat. They have plenty of outdoor shelter too.

But I hear lots of different things about horses... I am just curious as to whether you guys rug your horses during winter or if it's very cold/rainy (if your horse is out 24/7).

Also, what breed is your horse? When do you rug, if at all? I had an OTTB and we rugged a lot during winter when he was out, and clipped. Sometimes we had an under-rug beneath the turnout rug too if he was in or out. If it was ever particularly icy cold or very rainy in any other season, we'd do the same (just have a heavy turnout rug)... but that was only if we really deemed it necessary.

DancingArabian 07-04-2013 10:52 AM

I rug my horse when its below 55. He doesn't grow much of a winter coat - maybe a half inch think. He gets crabby when he is cold or cold and wet. He doesn't move around much and doesn't eat much because he would rather mood in the shed. He gives the farm hands a hard time about being turned out and chases the other horses around sometimes. All that because there's a bit of snow on the ground! He's much MUCH happier with a blanket. It doesn't cost me extra money and doesn't cost me much extra time to rug him at night before I leave.

My horse is an Arabian but I know plenty of Arabians who grow very suitable winter coats so I don't know what's up with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dustbunny 07-04-2013 10:59 AM

2 Paints and 1 Half Arab
We don't blanket. Our horses are free to come and go from barn to pasture 24/7 and are only shut in if we have freezing rain. They develop good winter coats.

GamingGrrl 07-04-2013 11:21 AM

I have 2 horses, pasture kept with run in sheds in adjacent paddocks they can come and go into. I blanket both. One grows a wooly mammoth style coat but it turns gross in the rain and weather.. The other doesn't have much of a winter coat. I blanket more to keep the rain off of them than to keep them warm.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saranda 07-04-2013 11:23 AM

No, I don't rug my horse (except for a light fleece rug after long training sessions in colder weather while I walk him off). He's a carriage type warmblood, lives outside 24/7 (can be stabled overnight, but there hasn't been a reason to do so), has access to a shelter during the night (not perfect, I know, should be 24/7), and temperatures around here can drop as low as -35C (-31F) during winters. Access to unlimited hay is obligatory, of course.

Failbhe 07-04-2013 12:26 PM

I have 1 arab/quarter horse x and 2 miniatures, and for the most part I don't - they're outside 24/7 with access to run-in sheds, and it gets very cold here in the winter (-40 Celsius, which I believe is almost the same as -40 F) - all three of them develop nice shaggy winter coats.

The only time I blanket is if there's freezing rain. The minis go into the shed, but my silly arab x likes to run around in the rain. Sometimes I close her up in the shed if the weather is particularly bad, but usually I just put a waterproof blanket on her until the weather clears up.

PaintHorseMares 07-04-2013 01:21 PM

Our (Paint) horses are out 24x7 with a shelter and free choice hay and have never been blanketed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fowl Play 07-04-2013 01:39 PM

I have a QH and a paint. Both of them are kept in a pasture during the day, if it's not raining too hard, and in a barn at night, bad weather. Both are rugged in a light sheet until it hits about 45 degrees, then they wear a warm blanket with a neck cover. Both are in waterproof blankets because I live on the wet side of Washington.

Both still grow a healthy winter coat, but it's so much easier to ride a horse that is clean and dry, and as the weather can turn in about 30 seconds around here, even if they're turned out in the morning when the weather is tolerable, by lunch time it can be raining buckets.

tlkng1 07-04-2013 01:53 PM

Probably 80% of the horses on our property (lesson barn) are thoroughbreds so don't get much of a winter coat. Boarders tend to sheet when temps drop to a consistent 40F and blankets when the temps hit a consistent 20F or lower. The school horses get blanketed at the 20F and lower mark but are never sheeted. If the temps are below 30F and it is windy out or there is spitting snow and wind, the horses go out in blankets. Everyone is in at night and the barn doors closed so the barn is a good 10 degrees warmer than the outside temps, again, unless wind is involved. For the boarders the sheets and blankets are also just a way to help keep the coat cleaner.

QtrBel 07-04-2013 03:47 PM

Belgians, Quarters and a couple of Paints. Never rugged. I've had Apps, a Quarab and a TB they were never rugged either.