The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Harness Critiques (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/harness-critiques-225978/)

Taffy Clayton 07-04-2013 11:58 AM

Harness Critiques

1 Attachment(s)
I have been collecting some photos of horses in harness for a harness critique thread. While some photos of the horses in harness are funny, some are sad.
I was hoping this would be way to look at horses in harness and learn the best way to harness.

Lets see if you can figure out what is wrong, but better yet see if you can figure a way to correct the problem.

Some photos are just wrong, some are just right, and most are somewhere in between. While critiquing, I like to remember that you use what you have till you get what you want, but I have no problem saying what I think they should get.

I will be posting photos of my embarrassing attempts at harnessing when I was just starting out driving, BUT the names are changed to protect the innocent.

Lets start with this harness job. What do you think?

Attachment 224602

littrella 07-04-2013 12:47 PM

looks good to my beginer eyes

greentree 07-04-2013 10:13 PM

I'll play!!!

The breastcollar is too big.

The tugs are WAY too high, they should be fairly level, and end about the point of shoulder.

The breeching needs to be lowered to the flank.

I would move the footman loops forward, so the breeching is a better line.

But the MAIN thing....WHO IS HEADING THE HORSE???

Nancy

Taffy Clayton 07-04-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 2971242)
i'll play!!!

But the main thing....who is heading the horse???

Nancy

bingo!!!!!!!

You saw some things I did not see, but I see some other things I would change.
Lets see if someone else has some observations.

Taffy Clayton 07-15-2013 10:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 231874

Beautiful horse, very nice equipment!

Main problem is no one is holding the horse.
As greentree also stated, the shafts are too high, the shafts on this type of vehicle should follow the line of the traces.
I would lower the tugs 3 or 4 holes.
The harness looks too big for the horse, which Greentree pointed out. See how the buckles on the breast collar go so far back that they are starting to interfere with the saddle and the girths, and all of the extra leather hanging past the girth, if you look very closely, I blew it up, the girth is up past the tightest hole for the photo. Once the tugs are lowered, the saddle will be unusable with this horse, it really is unusable now.
If the holdback irons were moved forward, the holdback straps would have a better line towards the front of the horse, and the breeching would function a lot better.
I also think that if the holdback irons were moved forward the breeching would be fine where it is now.
The reins are on the lowest hole on the shanks of the bit, way too much bit for a driving horse. If your horse needs the reins hooked to the lowest slot on the bit... you should not be driving that horse.

The traces have nothing from the breast collar to the single tree to keep them from drooping to the ground, easy for a horse to get a leg over the trace. The trace should run between the two girths, and then the shafts should have a trace holder attached to it, and finally the trace should go between the straps of the hold backstraps.

Attachment 231938

Attachment 231922

Attachment 231930

waresbear 07-15-2013 10:07 PM

I know nothing about harnesses or driving but you asked for my opinion so you are going to get it. As I judge any horse, I go by "would I want to ride it, own it?" The rig & horse you posted? I want a ride in that, right through mainstreet to show off!

Taffy Clayton 07-15-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 3069650)
I know nothing about harnesses or driving but you asked for my opinion so you are going to get it. As I judge any horse, I go by "would I want to ride it, own it?" The rig & horse you posted? I want a ride in that, right through mainstreet to show off!

I would want to be sitting right next to you, for sure!

4horses 07-16-2013 01:50 AM

Taffy- No fair! You beat me! I saw that nice Zilco harness on the Carriage driving classifieds and was just going to ask about it. Guess I have to keep looking! :lol:

Taffy Clayton 07-16-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4horses (Post 3071938)
Taffy- No fair! You beat me! I saw that nice Zilco harness on the Carriage driving classifieds and was just going to ask about it. Guess I have to keep looking! :lol:

I am sorry, I thought it was too good to pass up!
If it doesn't fit "P" I will PM you.

michaelvanessa 07-17-2013 05:47 PM

driveing critic.

hiya tc i could not reply as there was a problem with h/f.
i loved your string and as warebear said a drive down main street sounds good.
its been very hot here so i have not done a lot 12 hour days at the mo.