The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Rug rub? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/rug-rub-226002/)

PunksTank 07-04-2013 12:28 PM

Rug rub?

My mare has got to wear a fly sheet, but being so round and short backed not many blankets fit her well. This fly sheet shifts back and causes a rub only on the point of her left shoulder. It drives me nuts, but I can't find any way to put the blanket on her, tight or loose, where is doesn't rub.
I've tried putting bag balm on it and baby oil and MTG. What else can I do? the hair isn't even starting to grow back.

alexischristina 07-04-2013 12:47 PM

Sounds like you need to get a different brand of fly sheet or fiddle with sizes until you find one that fits... Until then the only real solution is to put a shoulder guard on her, but then it might be too hot.

jaydee 07-04-2013 03:54 PM

What brand rug are you using?
I've bought one of these and it seems to be rub free so far - it has a stiff feel to it and seems heavy yet she doesn't sweat in it any more than the others do in their really lightweight ones.
Big Fella Dura-Mesh FlyShieldŽ Fly Sheet in Dura-Mesh Fly Sheets at Schneider Saddlery

ridemcowgirl069 08-05-2013 11:37 AM

Use a bib. People don't use them often in the us but they work great at stopping the hair rubbing. I use one with horses blanket in winter bit I'm sire it will work well with a fly sheet
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 08-05-2013 12:27 PM

No advice on getting the blanket to stop rubbing, but I really like this stuff for all kinds of sores and minor cuts and rubs. It helps them heal and makes the hair grow crazy fast.
Bickmore Gall Salve for Horses - ShanesTack

FlipFlopTipTop 08-05-2013 04:43 PM

I would either use a shoulder guard or get a different sheet. With it rubbing on only one side, you have to think what its doing to her back/shoulder/pressure points/muscles etc. It may end up making her need a massage/chiro appointment.

What brand are you currently using? Maybe try to find one you can better adjust. I really like the one jaydee posted, although Ive never used it. I like how its really free in the shoulder. I also use thicker ones (instead of that fine mesh) Ive had success with BigD, Shedrow, Glover and Kensington flysheets. Out of the three I like the Glover one more though, its a big more lighter than the others and conforms to their body better (more flex to it) The only issue is I find its not AS durable although it depends how your horse is with blankets. My guys rub on everything, have trees in their pasture and like to play fight. So far its held up well this year and I havent done a single repair on it although there are some small frays.

jaydee 08-05-2013 05:51 PM

I've now bought a couple of these from the same company - they are even lighter weight but seem tough enough (as they can be with a horse inside them) and fit really well, no sign of any rubbing.
I did find that they'd sold out of the front fastening ones and were waiting for new stock I think so I got the sort you slip over the head (closed front) as none of mine object to having that done
Mosquito Mesh Open Front Fly Sheet in Mosquito Mesh Fly Sheets at Schneider Saddlery

Saddlebag 08-06-2013 09:30 AM

Punk, I wipe chain saw chain oil on my horses. I mix 2/3 oil, 1/3 water, a drop or two of Dawn (no more) and shake like mad and pour on a rag. The rag is kept in a baggy. It is excellent for deterring flies and mosquitoes. Compared to the cost of the better fly repellants, chain oil is cheap. Years ago an old bush worker advised me to use dirty engine oil as they found that was all that protected the work horses. It's a good way to recycle that oil. If the horse rolls in a grassy area it will fertilize the grass as engine oil contains phosphates.

DuffyDuck 08-06-2013 09:32 AM

To prevent rugs rubbing, I have always used any type of mane and tail detangler. Naturally, providing there is no open wound. Always worked for me!

PunksTank 08-06-2013 09:46 AM

Thanks everyone :) I have been using baby oil in a spray bottle and it seems to work, the hair is all back. Thanks for all the suggestions, these are interesting suggestions I'll keep them in mind!