The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Keeping a braided tail bag IN (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/keeping-braided-tail-bag-226026/)

DancingArabian 07-04-2013 01:32 PM

Keeping a braided tail bag IN

Hi all,

My gelding's tail has really improved over the past few months. It's a good four inches longer and I'm managing to keep it silvery white. The problem is that recently (say the past couple of months), I haven't been able to keep his tail bag on!

It's a braid in tail bag. I've tried various knots and even vet wrap at the top (and yes of course I'm careful about the dock).

The problem? After I get the tail bag in, he's usually getting it off within the first day or two. The bag is STILL BRAIDED and KNOTTED at both ends. There are not new horses in the herd so I don't think anyone's helping him. I have NO idea how he's getting the thing out without unravelling it, but he is somehow.

Any suggestions?

SEAmom 07-04-2013 01:53 PM

How long is the tail itself? I've found that makes a huge difference with braid-in bags. My friend's stallion had same problem when the BO cut his tail almost to the dock last fall. It took many months to even be braided in his tail bag, but it's still too short to stay in during the summer while he's swatting flies.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 07-04-2013 10:27 PM

Zip-ties.

DancingArabian 07-04-2013 10:39 PM

The tail is currently an inch dragging on the ground but that's only when his tail is down. He's an Arab so when he moves, he has high tail carriage.

How can I zip tie it on? Remember he's not undoing the knots at either end nor the braid itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

SEAmom 07-05-2013 01:09 AM

It seems like he's just swatting it off. I'd say braid it in with a dirty tail to see if that helps, but it defeats the purpose. Lol. So, I'm going to suggest duct tape. Lots of duct tape. Just kidding, haha. If you keep having this happen, I think you should try a different method.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boo Walker 07-05-2013 10:12 AM

I think it has to do with the texture of the hair itself. My Mustang has soft, wavy almost people textured mane and tail. Anytime I try to braid and bag it the same thing happens like with your horse. How he does it without pulling out a single hair I'll never know. Our Belgian has coarser, more horse-like hair and his will stay in the bag until I take it out.

oh vair oh 07-05-2013 10:21 AM

Put one zip tie at the top under the knot, as tight as you can. And another above the knot at the bottom. Never had one come off - so make sure your fences are in good repair.