The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   I'm on my last straw. (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/im-my-last-straw-226066/)

CrossCountry 07-04-2013 03:26 PM

I'm on my last straw.

I got my first horse in May. She is amazing and lovely, but we just do not work well together. We butt heads and I feel she is too much horse for me. We were working on the canter today and she started cantering really really tight circles and then she bucked and I was hanging off the side and she was still going, and then I fell off and she nearly stepped on me. This was one of several times I've fallen off because of her acting out. She is pretty green, but has come a long way since I first got her.

I am on my last straw. I used to have confidence while riding and I could just have fun, but now I get on and I look confident but I'm absolutely terrified. A few days ago I got to ride a nice calm horse named Dolly, and I got on and I just cantered and had so much fun. I really enjoyed it and I just was able to ride with confidence and not worry so much. I was so happy, and it made me realize just how little I liked riding Misti.

I love her to death and we work well together on the ground, but in saddle we just are horrible together. I'm slowly getting more and more angry/stressed when I'm riding and it's affecting my riding, my horse, and everyone around me. I hate it. I really miss when I loved riding.

My dad gave me three options.

1.) Sell her and be done with horses.
2.) Sell her and get a different more experienced horse.
3.) Get a professional trainer to help.

I'm leaning towards 2 (or 1). I feel horrible that I'm almost ready to give up on her. My parents aren't horse people, so I'm coming here to get some advice. What do you think I should do? I'm absolutely torn. Share your opinions, stories, etc. I won't be offended, I just really need help. I've tried to work with her and gain her respect but it's just hard for me.

Saranda 07-04-2013 03:31 PM

You should get a trainer. Even the most experienced, Olympic riders take lessons from trainers - it's a lifelong experience! For a green rider with a green horse, it is even more important to get professional assistance and another pair of eyes to observe your progress. If the rider is the source of the problems, even the most experienced horse will start displaying unwanted behavior over time - their experience is not a set mechanism, after all, it is created, built and destroyed over split seconds.

Trust me, both your horse and you will benefit greatly from a trainer, and it will do so much good for your future experience!

DraftyAiresMum 07-04-2013 03:32 PM

Why is getting a professional trainer not one of your options that you're considering? If you work well on the ground, there's no reason that, with professional help, you could do well in the saddle.

If you're seriously not willing to consider getting a trainer, I would sell her and get a horse you can actually handle.
Posted via Mobile Device

kenda 07-04-2013 03:32 PM

If you're really not enjoying having her, sell her now before she develops any bad habits. It's no shame to admit that you made a mistake. If you're leaning more toward option 2 or 1, then I would consider selling her and finding a lease so that you can determine on more of a long term basis whether owning a horse is really something you want to commit to.

SouthernTrails 07-04-2013 03:36 PM

Two months is not that long for new Horse to get used to you, some are fine right away, some take a while to get used to you.

Do you lunge your Horse, does she Buck when transitioning from a walk to a canter when lunging? Try lunging with and without a Saddle, of course with no weight in the saddle it may not make a difference, just something to check.

Saddle fit? That would be a big issue to look at, she could be bucking at a canter because the Saddle does not fit well.

JulieG 07-04-2013 03:38 PM

I think the fact that you enjoyed riding a different horse so much and only a few days ago means that #1 shouldn't be an option just yet...

CrossCountry 07-04-2013 03:59 PM

No she does fine under saddle with transitions, she is perfect. Absolutely perfect with transitions. Its when she's been worked for a while that she gets angry and will do anything to get you off. Ever since I've gotten her I've worked with my instructor. I've corrected a lot of bad habits, but it seems every time I correct one, a new one pops up.

My parents are the reason #1 is a (tiny) option. They push me to hard too fast, and they don't know or understand horses so I'm slowly teaching them what I know. They knew nothing, and now they know how to saddle a horse, lunge a horse and the basics of horsemanship on the ground.

She has a saddle that is fitted to her. It leaves even sweat spots and it fits very well.

She was fine with me and we worked well together for the first 3 weeks and then it has gone downhill from that.

I want to get a trainer in but I would have to pay for it and it's $650+ for 30 days. I don't have a job or any way to earn money.

I still am taking 2 lessons every week, and I did for several years before I did. I love taking lessons as I still have so much to learn.

I'm fairly torn, but I just feel like I made a big mistake with her and now I need to fix it.

DraftyAiresMum 07-04-2013 04:01 PM

Have you had your instructor ride her? Does she act the same way?
Posted via Mobile Device

BooBear1016 07-04-2013 04:04 PM

I have been though hell with my gelding. He reared under saddle, bucked and was just a pain to ride. I've had him since he was 8 months, he's now 3. I was in the same position you are in now. I sent him to a trainer. I couldn't imagine getting rid of him. He came back a brand new horse, a dream to ride.
Posted via Mobile Device

CrossCountry 07-04-2013 04:05 PM

Yes she does. He rode her and she did good for about 30 min, and then he tried to canter he and she slipped and after that she did not want to be ridden and went on a bucking spree.

A vet has checked her for pain, her teeth have been floated, hooves done, and she has been wormed. I am sure that pain is not a factor.