The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Trimming thick mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/trimming-thick-mane-226170/)

ThisGirl 07-04-2013 05:17 PM

Trimming thick mane

My palomino QH has really thick mane and when i trim it for shows it looks cut and not very presentable, but when i trim my friends thin maned QH it looks awesome. What can i do to keep my horses mane from looking poofy and like it has just been cut?

I do western pleasure and showmanship, and i do hunter under saddle.

I need help!!

IndiesaurusRex 07-05-2013 03:16 PM

I find for very thick manes, pulling always works a lot better rather than cutting. You can just about get away with it with a thin mane, but if you pull a thick mane, it will not only shorten it in a presentable way, it will thin it out slightly too.

tlkng1 07-05-2013 04:20 PM

Two things to try. My OTTB had a VERY thick mane..unusual in and of itself. When it got long he had equal amounts on both sides of his neck (it would part down the middle) and he had enough mane literally for two horses. What I would do is pull form the right side, not shortening overmuch, then, comb over the other half and thin some more.

If it got too long, rather than pull I would actually shorten it SLIGHTLY with clippers and then pull from underneath to the desired length.

The idea is to thin by pulling from underneath or the middle rather than overly shorten. A short, thick mane is going to stick up like a Mowhawk :) I found this out the hard way on my very first horse who was a Morgan/Welsh cross with the thick mane from Hades...in any type of wind it would stick straight up from the crest.

Saddlebag 07-05-2013 05:05 PM

I flip the mane over as it's easier to pull the now top hairs, taking only 4 at a time.