The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Knee rolls vs. no knee rolls (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/knee-rolls-vs-no-knee-rolls-226178/)

ThisGirl 07-04-2013 06:42 PM

Knee rolls vs. no knee rolls

I am getting an english saddle soon and i was wondering, should i get one with or without knee rolls? All i will be doing is hunter under saddle and practicing around my house. Are the knee rolls necessary? Are they easier to ride with?

PaintLover17 07-04-2013 06:58 PM

If you are going to be doing any jumping knee rolls will make you a bit more secure in the saddle. I prefer small knee rolls for riding, but only because it is what I'm used to. It really is just personal preference, but a saddle with no knee rolls will require a better seat to ride in.
Posted via Mobile Device

commandolover 07-06-2013 01:17 PM

I have had ones with no knee rolls. Then I got a new saddle with knee rolls! It's amazing how much more comfy and how much better I rode! Defiantly knee rolls!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bagheera 07-08-2013 01:04 PM

When I used to jump, I absolutely loved the additional security knee rolls gave me over fences.

upnover 07-08-2013 05:17 PM

If you don't have a solid position knee rolls won't make too much of a difference. But if you have a good position a nice knee roll can help hold your position a smidge. I personally prefer them, but I also like my nice cushy saddles. ;)

My2Geldings 07-08-2013 11:01 PM

Are you planning on showing? I find knee rolls depending on how the saddle is build, is usually there more for comfort than anything. The higher end saddles can offer more support. If you are planning to show, the trends right now are to have a saddle with knee roll. I find a saddle without is more of a thing of the past.

binkac 08-05-2013 05:02 PM

I like pencil knee rolls with plain flaps - but you'll stick out in the show ring

showjumperachel 08-08-2013 04:33 PM

KNEE ROLLS!!!

I'm borrowing a jump saddle from my trainer to take down to another barn for a couple of months, so of course she is "letting" me take the oldest, crappiest saddle in the barn (the seat is literally cracked) I am fortunate to take a saddle (otherwise I'd be doing cross country bare back!), but I am bummed that the saddle I'm going to be using doesn't have knee rolls. I definitely feel less secure, should something go wrong, in a saddle without knee rolls. A little extra security never hurts, right? :)