The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eventing Prospect?

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Want2Ride 
#1 ·
For those of you who saw my thread yesterday, you may already be familiar, but if not, this is a 15.3 hh 4 year old OTTB gelding. Do you think he‘d make a good lower level prospect? His price already makes him an exceptionally sweet deal, as well as the fact that I‘m already in love. Is there anything about him that will cause future problems or needs an extra close look now? Would you buy him? If not why?
(Going to try to add the photos in the next post as my phone isn't very nice?)
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
I am no expert, but I prefer the second horse. The first is put together kind of odd. His shoulder looks steep, and I don't like the look of his neck, but I bet the neck improves in the right kind of work. His legs look pretty decent to me, though. If you really love him, and he vets clean I bet you could do lower level stuff with him.

#5 ·
The first one looks very straight in the shoulder and somehow not quite right - like his front legs look too far ahead of the line of his withers where the saddle would fit
Not sure if its the way the photo is taken but the second one looks tied in behind the knee

#6 ·
Honestly I don't like either, I'm sorry to say.

The bay has a short low neck set, a very short back - saddle-fitting nightmare - tied in at knee, but good bone and decent feet. He is uphill. If he's really 15.3, that groom must be 7 feet tall:shock:

The chestnut is quite nice until you get to those legs, especially the front ones. Over at the knees, very tied in behind, and awful feet. Left front fetlock is puffy and he looked off in the video. Shame, really - kinda like a Ferrari mounted on wagon wheels.:-(

#7 ·
The first one won me over with his eyes more than anything xD

These were the others I liked as well as my reasons for not posting them the first time.
Sanpit Cart - 9yo flashy Bay Mare, very athletic and pretty - VIDEO 6/1
I didn't really want a mare or a 9 year old, but she's still an eye catcher. The mare part is a minus for me, but may actually be a plus as we do have another mare- an older cart horse- and mares tend to make geldings get stupid.

Cart's SinkorSwim - handsome 9yo chestnut gelding
Again, I wanted something younger as well as the fact that this guy doesn't have the best of pictures. Something about him in his videos though snagged my attention.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
The first one would look better with more muscle. He's very lean and he looks very 'young' still, I think with more muscling through his neck and hiney he'd look nicer and carry more power. That said, he's pretty long through the pasterns (and legs in general) and one thing you DON'T want while eventing (even the lower levels) is any weakness in the legs.

#2 looks like he has better proportions, but I don't like his legs at all. He's tied in and quite over at the knee. Granted his back is nice and short and strong, and overall he looks like a better horse. His legs just scare me off a little.

Mare #3's pictures don't do her any justice, but she's cute and she looks strong although she looks like she's got a downhill build, which is pretty detrimental as far as eventing goes.

The last gelding, again, needs better pictures. He looks tied in and over at the knee, but his feet are so horrendous that it could be because of his need for a trim. He's cute though.

#13 ·
The best topline is #1. Don't buy #2--he is spent. He is over at the knee, essentially, crippled on the front legs and no athlete. I've never bought a horse with this problem but I had a friend who had a mare who was over at the knees. After about one hour of work she would collapse and trip and often go down. Hardly a horse I would want to jump!
We are still in a buyer's market. Keep looking.

#15 ·
I like the mare - 9 isn't old, there are horses still eventing at top level that are in their late teens. I have 5 mares and I've had geldings with them and no problems - if you get a 'sexy' flirty mare she'll play up to other mares as well as a gelding!!!
I would say that she looked to be pretty spirited and high geared - so you need to be used to that sort of horse and they don't always settle too well for the dressage phase, even X country - an event horse needs to be bold but not reckless
The chestnut gelding looks to have the start of some suspensory ligament problem going on in his hind fetlocks - but could just be the angle of the shot
I liked that mare that's riding on a bit - looks really sensible which you need for eventing, you'd still have plenty of work to do finishing her but at least you'd have an idea of how she's going to work out - IMO worth paying the extra for and you could probably haggle for a lower price

#19 ·
I think I liked the mare better but he's a horse that will look 100% improved with some condition on him
People are accepting really silly money now for horses. We rejected our most recent horse at her original price because we didn't really want something that good - just a taller horse for my son & husband and then bought her for next to nothing a bit further down the line because they needed to move her on
This heat is killing me!!!

#21 ·
I‘m in Iowa so you guys can hunt to your hearts content. I do like Mia and I may give her a shot. I just don't want to waste anyone‘s time, so I‘d like to know exactly who I want to take a look at and get them all in at once.
My biggest thing is I‘d rather have a horse straight of the track than one that's been restarted wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

#24 ·
I am looking for an OTTB. In Iowa would be great! I was planning a trip to Prairie Meadows, but I don‘t have any contacts to get to where you need to be to find the trainers and horses. I also don‘t know who‘s reliable and not. I need a track veteran.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.