The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   mare wont get up,quick advice needed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mare-wont-get-up-quick-advice-22665/)

peanut 02-16-2009 05:01 AM

mare wont get up,quick advice needed

Today when i went out to see my mare she was laying down in the dirt,
i walked up to her and thought shewould get up,but she didnt.
So i walked away thinking she would follow me like she does but she just layed there.
So i tried to get her up,she was making a straining noise so i got really worried,i was pushing on her to get up.
I walked away heading to the house to call the vet,as i was half way back i look back and she was getting up,so she got up and was following me and was fine.So i didnt call,as i was heading out about an hour later i look out and shes laying down again.
She usually lays down but she gets up when i go out.
What do i do? do i get the vet to look her over or just leave her be?
thanks in advance

Pinto Pony 02-16-2009 05:52 AM

Hard to say! I think if it was me and one of my horses I would probably leave her a day or two and see how she is, just check on her late before you go to bed and first thing when you get up, and then during the day if you can and anything changes get the vet out. Maybe even set an alarm and check on her during the night. Make sure she is pooping? Colic comes to mind cause she was lying down and making noise, but don't panic, might not be anything!

How old is she? Has she had any issues with her legs or stiffness before? I hope it is nothing and she was just a little sleepy :)

peanut 02-16-2009 06:04 AM

Ive had her for about a year now,never been sick.
She 4 years old,no ptoblems before.
Her toileting is the same.
:?
gawd i hope nothing is wrong with her,i couldnt handle it!

NorthernMama 02-16-2009 10:01 AM

I agree. Keep an eye on her. Is she pooping and peeing? Take her out for some ground work and she how she is. Any stiffness? Any lameness? Run your hands all over her and see if she is sensitive anywhere, swelling, heat... listen to her belly, check her heart and breathing rates... That's all I can think of off hand.

Could be that she was enjoying a nap and just didn't want to be disturbed. Yesterday when I went to put the bridle on my girl, she was laying down enjoying the sun. So she stayed there while I bridled her! It was great because she's 17.3 hh and laying down made it so easy I'm thinking I should train her to do that for my kid to tack her up!

farmpony84 02-16-2009 10:10 AM

sounds like she could be colic-y. I'd keep a close eye on her...

Vidaloco 02-16-2009 11:06 AM

I don't want to be an alarmist but what breed of horse is she? Does she have any Impressive in her breeding? We found out about our Fancy because she would not get up after laying or falling down. If it is HYPP you need to get her up ASAP, the longer she stays down the worse the prognosis is. I have even used a tractor, and chains to get her up. In the end she went down one last time and never got up.
The test for HYPP is easy and a vet can help you out if it ends up this is the cause. Hopefully she was just very tired and didn't want to get up just yet.

luvs2ride1979 02-16-2009 12:20 PM

I would put my ear to her belly in all four quadrants on each side and listen for gut sounds. Listen at the top front and back and lower front and back. Check to see if there are any recent poop piles and if she ate her normal amount of food too.

I would check her lower legs and feet for lameness. Watch her walk around to see if there is any limp.

If she continues to lay down, I would call the vet out.

wild_spot 02-16-2009 07:38 PM

Have you seen her pee recently? My pony recently had kidney stones and he couldn't pee, he was lying down and colicking mildy because of it, yet was still defacating.

peanut 02-17-2009 12:31 AM

Shes a 4yo thoroughbred,i havent seen her wee as yet but she is pooping.
Shes up today but she hasnt been near our back fence where she waits to be fed,when i went out this morning she was down the back of the yard fence just standing there which isnt like her at all.
Last night when i put her feed out she was as pushy as ever but wasnt at the fence waiting there either though which is odd.
She doesnt seem to be sore anywhere,i dont know.
Its really strange,yesterday she took a small run across the yard so seemed to be feeling ok.
There seems to be nothing wrong with her legs or anything so i just dont know.
Shes never been sick or down like this before.
She doesnt seem to bad today,just seems down:cry:
I havent ridden her in 3 days because i dont want to hurt her.
If shes still down tomorrow it wouldnt hurt to call the vet out.
shes eating,drinking and pooping havent seen her wee yet though.
so will keep an eye out.
Thanks for the help guys,ive been so worried:cry:

horsecrazycool 02-17-2009 01:40 PM

There is a chance she could have a case of colic. I'm not too sure but try to get her up nd walking around.