The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Eye Infection? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/eye-infection-22702/)

Equus_girl 02-16-2009 05:03 PM

Eye Infection?

One of the fillies I look after has something wrong with her eye. For the last couple days she has kept it closed quite a bit of the time and today she is acting like it hurts. She doesn't want anyone to touch that side of her head and it is tearing a lot. She has a bit of white discharge too. I can't see anything in the eye but she won't open it very well for me. Any ideas what could have happened and what could be done for it?

koomy56 02-16-2009 05:54 PM

If you can get her to where you can pry her eye open, look for a cloudy white spot on her eye. If you do see one, that means that something had scratched her eye. In that case you need to give her some type of antibiotic ointment that doesn't have steroids. Steroids slow down the healing when the eye has been scratched. You can usually pick something up over the counter at your vet. Twice a day, for that type thing. If you have a fly mask and she'll tolerate it, you can use that to block out some of the sun, as it irritates it.
If there is no cloudy spot then she might just have an infection, which could be treated with the antibiotic ointment, or even antibiotics if need be.
We've had several horses with this type of thing and the major thing is to keep the sun off it, and to be consistent with the ointments.
You can get a vitamin at your local grocery store called CoQ-10 , which we gave to the horses with annoying, everlasting eye issues and it really helps clear it up. You give 2 twice daily with a handful of grain, or in their normal grain ration.
Good luck. Be patient. Sometimes it takes forever to clear up.

mls 02-16-2009 05:55 PM

I strongly suggest a vet. Eyes are nothing to mess with second guessing what the problem could be.

jemmamalone 02-16-2009 06:40 PM

i agree with mls, even if you think you know what the problem is its better to get a vet to look at it. Over the counter med's can help and are cheaper but having a vet look at it and getting the CORRECT med's for her will clear it up alot quicker and safer in the long run. Plus if you get the wrong antibiotics it could get alot worse alot quicker. Hope it clears up soon :o)

Equus_girl 02-16-2009 08:55 PM

I'll look for the cloudy white spot on her eye. Hopefully she'll let me open it. I'll also be contacting her owner so she can get a vet to check her. I've seen horses have runny eyes for a day or so but she won't open her eye hardly at all and she acts like it hurts so I am pretty worried. Thanks for the advice!

koomy56 02-16-2009 08:58 PM

No problem, good luck!

StormyBlues 02-16-2009 09:07 PM

Sounds like what Ariel had. It is Leptosperosis. It is an eye infection that is carried by deer. We had to twitch her, put eye meds in and give her special meds in her feed. get a vet out, they will look at the eye and draw blood.

pat 02-18-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equus or english (Post 252369)
one of the fillies i look after has something wrong with her eye. For the last couple days she has kept it closed quite a bit of the time and today she is acting like it hurts. She doesn't want anyone to touch that side of her head and it is tearing a lot. She has a bit of white discharge too. I can't see anything in the eye but she won't open it very well for me. Any ideas what could have happened and what could be done for it?

get a vet do not take chances

pat 02-18-2009 04:02 AM

Get a vet do not take chances you obviously know the fillies in pain

Walkamile 02-18-2009 11:15 AM

Pat is correct, that filly is in pain. Regardless of what has caused this, you need a vet. Do not wait, or permanent damage can occur. Do not try home remedies, could cause more damage when you are not sure what you are dealing with. I speak from a place of experience. Good luck to you.

Until a vet sees her, get her out of direct light. If you have a fly mask, be sure it is of very dark material or it will actually magnify the light and cause more pain. She may also rub that eye with the fly mask on and cause more damage. My mare did that before I got the guardian mask. If you can put her is a stall and keep quiet that would be best.