The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Has anyone seen a WILD animal on the trail (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/has-anyone-seen-wild-animal-trail-22718/)

travlingypsy 02-16-2009 06:21 PM

Has anyone seen a WILD animal on the trail

OTHER then deer, they dont count!..lol

My friend and I were talking about what we would do if we saw a bear, and how we would just let our horses book it and hold on with dear life.

Now its got me thinking and I wondered if any of you have seen like a montian lion,bear,fox,wolf..ect scary animals that can harm you :-P
and what did you guys do when you saw them???

Pinto Pony 02-16-2009 07:14 PM

The scariest thing we come across it male 'roos. pintopony the guy we saw this time was scary cause he wouldn't jump away which made us think his females were around somewhere. They can turn quite nasty in breeding season and when young ones are around.

Otherwise all our more poisonous things are snakes and spiders which we are pretty sure he horses can out run ;)

RockinTheBit07 02-16-2009 07:16 PM

Never really go on trail rides since our barn is in the middle ofhte city. But we did have 2 foxes at the barn (they were after our chickens lol) and one morning when i was there I came face to face with teh fox and we had a staring contest lol. I was bad and tried to pet it:lol:. When I was up in the foothills (there is this restaurant there Humphrey Station, love it! But it used to be an old stop for like the stage coaches etc..) we were eating outside and spotted a big deer!! It was the male i believe, big antlers (arent they called bucks??) We rarely have bears here, I mean on our flag is a grizzly bear and we dont even have them lol, they all almost went extinct here:shock: And for my Astronomy class, during our lab times we spent 3 different nights up in the sorta foothill area where there were no lights to look through the big telescopes. Well It is a good 40 some minute drive to the turn off then another 30 min on a little narrow dirt road. Anywho me and my friend were among the last few to be there finishing our work and heard a bunch of coyotes howling only 100 yards away:shock:. I could see their eyes shine, scared the life out of me!!! But my teacher said that was nothing compared to when he was there alone cleaning up and a coyote sat 10 feet away from him and just stared at him...lol That is all of my "wild experiecenes" lol

happygoose123 02-16-2009 07:21 PM

well apart from foxes we dont have any of those scary animals u listed in australia! lol! Ive seen lots of harmless animals while trail riding like kangaroos, wallabys, lizzards, goannas, rabbits, rats and mice. Ive come across a few snakes but most of the time they just run away and i just keep my distance from them. I dont think foxes would do much, i think they would just run away. I have come across a pretty scary looking dog but i saw it before i got close so i just turned around. Once i heard a really scary growling kinda noise in the bush right next to me and i just turned around and bolted! lol! that was scary!!! to answer your question, i would just turn and run! Im not sure if its the right thing to do but i would just do that without even thinking!

Vidaloco 02-16-2009 08:01 PM

We see coyotes and bobcats but they are usually more scared of us then we are of them. I saw a bobcat up a tree after a domestic cat once. We rode up and scared the bobcat away and saved the poor kittys life.:D

travlingypsy 02-16-2009 08:25 PM

aww man that poor kitty, were you guys actually able to get it down from the tree?

The BO has seen two bears at the hay barn (where most of the trails are) we see bear poop every where also. But so far no one has seen one while riding.
I would probably pee my pants if I saw one.

Spastic_Dove 02-16-2009 08:35 PM

Mama Moose and her baby. We ran away before they could think they were threatened.

travlingypsy 02-16-2009 08:56 PM

Yikes! I would hate to see a mama moose.

Spastic_Dove 02-16-2009 09:05 PM

It was terrifying lol

farmpony84 02-16-2009 09:14 PM

bald eagles, ducks, geese, rabbits, snakes... deer... foxes, bobcats... black bear...wild turkey...

the scariest thing was a hoove eating tree stump... very dangerous... put my friend on the ground, almost got me off too... dangerous dangerous tree stump....