The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   No more riding lessons for me.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/no-more-riding-lessons-me-22724/)

Lucara 02-16-2009 07:32 PM

No more riding lessons for me..

So, after going over my finances today its become painfully clear that I won't be able to afford my lessons. I'll be starting college in March and I have to pay for all of my classes, books and gas by myself. The extra $50 a week and the extra gas I'm using on lessons is just too much. This sucks..I've wanted to take lessons since I was little and now I can actually afford to and I STILL can't take them...ARGH. I was doing really well too which makes it even more of a let down. I just had my 6th lesson and my instructor said that she wanted to start teaching me dressage moves and possibly cantering in the next lesson or two. This whole horse thing never seems to work in my favor:cry:...

MIEventer 02-16-2009 08:06 PM

I am sorry to hear your news. We are in really tough times right now, and I totally understand where you are financially.

Things happen for a reason, it may not be your time as of yet - but it'll happen. Maybe you have to go through a few more things before you are ready?

Horses will always be there, but school is very important.

How many lessons a week do you take? $50.00 a week seems expensive. I ride once a week and pay $25.00 a lesson, under a very experienced, capeable coach who prooves his worth.

Can you find a cheaper route?

Lucara 02-16-2009 08:17 PM

I'm only taking one lesson a week but sadly $50 is dirt cheep for where I live. Actual riding academies are asking $70-$80 an hour. My instructor always goes well over an hour and shes teaching me to train horses along with the lessons for no extra cost. Shes an outstanding instructor and I couldn't ask for anyone better.

MIEventer 02-16-2009 08:19 PM

I guess it depends on location.

I hope you can work things out, but if they don't - don't give up on your dreams.

PoohLP 02-16-2009 11:35 PM

Some instructors are willing to trade lessons for work. Another option is to find out if there is an equestrian team at your school you can get involved with, which simetimes comes with reduced lesson costs. Alternatively, sometimes individuals need to hire someone to do barnwork, which sometimes comes with housing and riding privileges (double bonus!).

If it is very important to you, find a way to make it work. I didn't do that when I got to college and wish I had.