The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Colour (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/colour-227298/)

Mandy1 07-06-2013 10:03 AM

Colour

Is it true??? If you wipe your horse twice a day in summer with vinegar and warm water they stay black?? I have been told to do this with my black cob as he is going a slight brown in the odd place,,

Poseidon 07-07-2013 02:58 AM

I have personally never heard that, but I haven't made any attempt to not let my horses sunbleach. But I'd think it would just make your horse smell, to be honest. Might work against flies though.

cowgirllinda1952 07-07-2013 11:48 AM

I found a tip on the internet some time ago, that said to rinse your hair in vinegar and warm water for the last rinse, and leave it on. It leaves your hair soft and super shiny, and the smell goes away once its try.

MissingStar 07-13-2013 07:32 AM

Are you absolutely sure he is true black? Perhaps now that it's summer he is showing his real colour - could he be brown?

The pony I bought late last year was pedigree registered as "black". However, now his new coat is in he is most definitely seal brown. No amount of vinegar or any other substance is going to change it.

I think Forum members have recommended adding paprika to the ration to prevent black from fading. No idea how much, or how early in the season you would need to start - it's on here somewhere!

Pictures would help :D.

Chiilaa 07-13-2013 07:43 AM

"True" black is not a real colour. There are some black horses that fade in summer, some that don't. This is not brown, it is black still.

As for the OP's horse, if you don't want it to fade, either blanket completely during the day, or keep them inside during the day. Sweat can also cause the hair to fade, so washing completely after each ride is also helpful. As for adding anything to their coat to stop it fading, it doesn't make sense that vinegar and water would do anything to protect it from the sun. Covering the hair in sunscreen may. Vinegar and water probably won't.

MissingStar 07-13-2013 08:04 AM

Sorry, used the wrong wording. By "true", I meant is the horse "really" black. Apologies.

I wondered if the horse in the OP's avatar was the one in question.