The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Am i to tall , and pics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/am-i-tall-pics-227314/)

horselover247 07-06-2013 10:12 AM

Am i to tall , and pics

i was want some opinions of if i am to tall my pony i am 5ft10 and 63kg and he is 14.2hh credit card built standard bred pony do you think i am to tall ???

also can fellow giants post some pics of them riding ponies :D

thanks in advance !!!

amberly 07-06-2013 10:29 AM

I wouldn't say you are too tall!
My horse is 13.2 and a few weeks ago our foreign exchange student rode him - and he was barely over 6 feet tall.
Sadly I don't have a photo, but he were to fall off of Golley then he wouldn't have far to go!!
And I am 5'7'' and when I ride Golley my feet are about a foot off the ground, hehe!!

Ripplewind 07-06-2013 12:15 PM

I'm 5 ft 8", and I've ridden a Missouri Fox Trotter that was only 14.1 hh. Well....that's not too short, but my legs are really long. :) I was very pleased to find out that my feet were, in fact, NOT dragging on the ground.

horselover247 07-07-2013 02:07 AM

haha yeah luckly my feet do not drag on the floor !!!

are there anymore pony riding pics??

kiwi79 07-07-2013 05:16 AM

Do you have any pics?

I am 5ft7 and when I was trying out horses I went to see a lovely little arab mare who was 14.2. I didn't feel too big/tall and the ground was lovely and close :-) but when I saw the videos and pics that my boyfriend had taken off me on her I thought I looked too tall on her. My legs were ok but it was more my upper body. Since she was the first horse I looked at I decided to keep looking for something a little bigger but every now and then I wish I had put that aside and gone back for a second visit. As long as you are both comfortable then that's the main thing.

horselover247 07-28-2013 07:16 AM

bump :-P

Cherie 07-28-2013 07:54 AM

I'm 6' tall. All my life I rode big horses for my own personal mounts. If you are going to show, you will need a bigger horse. But if you only ride for your own pleasure, you can ride anything.

I can no longer get on a big horse with my arthritis and degenerative joint disease; that dictates a little horse and a smooth gaited one (although I can no longer lope a horse at all). My personal mount I now ride is barely 14 hands. The others I get on are all under 15 hands and I seldom even try to mount them from the ground.

tlkng1 07-28-2013 08:08 AM

There is a famous pair out there that always defied that too tall for a horse issue...Joe Fargis and Touch of Class. Joe Fargis is tall anyway but Touch of Class was small mare that had springs on her back legs. Visually Joe Fargis was too tall for her and some of the best pics are of him moving his legs back over a jump to keep from taking down the poles with his own feet.

I agree that if competing a rider should probably fit the horse at least closely..there is not fitting and then there is just silly :). For pleasure riding, fun exhibition (there is a vid of an adult riding a pony in circles around a larger dressage horse in a musical freestyle spoof on YouTube somewhere) or even training of getting a pony or smaller horse back in check, height doesn't really matter.

Ah...here it is:

horselover247 08-03-2013 03:14 PM

bump again:-P

Foxesdontwearbowties 08-03-2013 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of me on my pony.
I'm 5"5-6 and my mare is almost 13.2hh. :D

Attachment 245698