The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Liberty training: Any help? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/liberty-training-any-help-22739/)

travlingypsy 02-16-2009 10:16 PM

Liberty training: Any help?

I want to learn more about training using the 'Liberty training' methods. Id love to start with Gypsy and see how our relationship would change. Ive googled it and found the carolyn Resnick blog but does anyone know of any other sites or hands on experiance?

Spirithorse 02-16-2009 11:12 PM

Parelli teaches Liberty at certain points in his program. The transition from on-line to Liberty work is wonderful, you and the horse are well prepared for the transition.

travlingypsy 02-16-2009 11:55 PM

Oh really I didnt know they did that.

sandy2u1 02-17-2009 02:31 AM

I just wanted to tell you in case you didnt know that you are supposed to do the 7 games with your horse before trying at liberty work. I looked it up myself because I thought itd be really cool to be able to "play" with my horse in a more freestyle way.

Spirithorse 02-17-2009 09:41 AM

Yep, that's what I meant when I said they prepare you well online before they turn you lose with Liberty work.

travlingypsy 02-17-2009 11:40 AM

Oh I have already done all that stuff with Gypsy, shes had so much ground work it crazy.

Sandy2u1- What site did you find that info on?

travlingypsy 02-17-2009 11:52 AM

here is another video of a lady working with a herd that was wild, but she uses a rope around their neck.... I dont think she used the 7 games tho.

qtina626 02-17-2009 02:47 PM

I do liberty training and I love it!!!

I don't use Parelli at all, as I am not that fond of it - but let's not go there.

I use clicker training - which I think is what the lady in the second video is using due to the pouch she has around her waste. And, I know Carolyn Resnick has talked about treats during training as well.

You do not have to use treats to do clicker training, although the horses will work harder for food.

I have a section on my website I started about Clicker training. It is not finished, but it goes into equine learning theory and what positive reinforcement is, etc.

I also have some videos on there that demonstrate more about how it works and what you can do with it, etc.

If you are interested, here are some links:

Equine Clicker Training

Equine Learning Theory

This is the page that lists the videos I have up right now - maybe you will see one that is interesting.

Horse Videos

Also, I know that Carolyn Resnick has a video available and is working on some more. I haven't gotten it yet, but it looks good. I have been waiting for her new videos since it says they are out soon.

Have fun with your horse.

By the way, is there something in particular you want to do with liberty training? Maybe I can help.

travlingypsy 02-17-2009 03:41 PM

Great! I cant wait to explore your pages!

I want to learn everything about liberty training, especially working from the ground to bringing it under saddle. I havent heard or read much about clicker training. But since my mare is a treat hound I think using them will get her really motivated. And I really like how Carolyn talks about teaching the horses that they are not taking treats from you but you are "giving" them at will.

OH this is so exciting I have to go look at all your vids :D

qtina626 02-17-2009 04:10 PM

I haven't been able to get any of my own videos up yet - they are just videos I found that other people did that I thought demonstrated clicker training well.

As for treats - I actually taught mine to "leave it" like you do a dog, so being grabby is not a problem for me.

If you are interested, I know a lot more that is not on my website that I can share with you about where to find more info etc.

But, I have to run and do some things right now. I'll catch ya' later.

Tina