The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Reputable Friesian Breeders?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/reputable-friesian-breeders-22744/)

JustDressageIt 02-17-2009 01:21 AM

Reputable Friesian Breeders??

Hello again!!

I have decided to go ahead with the Friesian thing. A friend has offered to keep Denny for me for next to nothing, in exchange for being able to ride him.. so YAY!!!
I am not looking to buy until the summer, but it's never too early to start looking, right??
So I guess I'm on the hunt!! I am looking in Canada and the States, as long as trasport and import fees aren't rediculous. Now, if I were to buy outside of BC and Alberta, I might buy sight-unseen. So of course I need help finding a good breeder. My dad (bless him) has said that if I find one I'm really interested in, we might make a weekend trip down to see if if it's in the States, but that is not a guarantee at this time and I'd really like to have a good idea about it beforehand...

Specs:

Age: Would prefer a weanling (if transport not a problem) or yearling.
Height: prefer around the 16hh mark. (mature to)
Sex: Any.
Use: Will be used for riding rather than driving. Dressage, perhaps some jumping, tricks.

CheyAut 02-17-2009 03:25 AM

I recomend Sue of Legacy Friesians :)

Sara 02-17-2009 09:44 AM

Horrible, horrible website, but the Vanderploegs really know their business. Two American stallions are going through approval testing this year, and they were both bred by the Vanderploegs. They also bred the approved stallion Doaitsen. They are located in Michigan. Vanderploeg Friesians

Also, I have to give a shout to the people who sold me MY horse :-) Jeannine is a very knowledgeable breeder, and her father works with the babies every day, so I didn't get a half-wild weanling. They are in Virginia. Tanbark Acres

JustDressageIt 02-17-2009 11:50 AM

Sara!!! Too Cool!!!!
I was actually admiring a video of the Tanbark foals yesterday!! It was a video of "Chip" (I think?) and he was amazing - 10 weeks old and already loading, clipping, tying like a pro. I was very very impressed. Then I clicked on the link to see more videos and saw your little guy!! What a mover!!!!! I am DEFINITELY interested in buying from them - would you go through them again??

I will look up Legacy Friesians and the Vanderplongs (sp??) as well :)

Sara 02-17-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 252967)
Sara!!! Too Cool!!!!
I was actually admiring a video of the Tanbark foals yesterday!! It was a video of "Chip" (I think?) and he was amazing - 10 weeks old and already loading, clipping, tying like a pro. I was very very impressed. Then I clicked on the link to see more videos and saw your little guy!! What a mover!!!!! I am DEFINITELY interested in buying from them - would you go through them again??

I will look up Legacy Friesians and the Vanderplongs (sp??) as well :)

Haha, its actually interesting you brought up Chip: at the end of that video you saw him trotting around with his mom. That is exactly the kind of movement I would NOT look for in a future dressage horse: he is very high-stepping and hollow without a lot of reach. His dam, Dahlia, is an AMAZING driving horse. Fortunately, his new owner is interested in saddle seat and driving, so I think they are a good match.

I would definitely buy from Tanbark Acres again, I had a very good experience. They have very few foals every year (2 or 3) so all of the youngsters are handled extensively, just like in the video. They were also good to deal with on the financial side of things: the in-vitro sales contract was very clear. They should be having two foals this May, if all goes well. Neither one is sold as of yet. I'm very interested to see how Corriander's foal turns out, as it will be a full sibling to my horse :-P

MirrorStage2009 02-17-2009 12:48 PM

I look for places that have affilates or partners in the Netherlands, or other such relationships. Such would be:

Friesians4USA in Virgina (The Simonetti's are long time board members of the FHANA...however, they are looking to sell off and retire)
Anneke's Friesians in Texas (but she lists outside horses from everywhere)
Legacy Friesians in Oregon
Signature Friesians in Kansas
Old Corner Stables in North Carolina
Wish Upon a Ster in Maryland
Excalibur Friesians in California

The above I've talked with and know a bit about. Here are a few I've no dealings with:

Dragstra Stables in North Carolina
Leyendekker Friesians in California (one of the founding members for Friesians in North America...had one of my favourite stallions, Laes)
Dutch Horse Friend in California
Zylstra Friesians in California
Sea Chanty Farm in Maine

The best places to look, however, is breeders with long time standing with the KFPA/FHANA...major players in the Friesian world! Some (who have websites) would be:

Friesian Dreams Farm in Wisconsin
Friesins of Majesty in Vermont
Knapp Friesians in Oregon (affiliated w/ Friesian Spectacular and former home of the amazing Clay Maier)
Martindale Friesian Farm in Indiana
Spearmint Rhino Friesian Ranch in California (they are privately offering up practically all their stock and have some amazing deals! Including their 3 Approved Stallions!:shock:)
Black Horse Valley Ranch in California (I want him!!:shock:)

Another place I can recommend (second hand...I know a woman who bought her foal in-utero here and trains here) is Leeandra at Legacy Stables in Maryland. Her new website is forthcoming (they just bought their own farm). Leeandra is a reputable breeder and trainer of Baroque and Gaited horses, with the biggest focus being Friesians.

Did I give you enough options?! :wink: Heh...

If you're looking at buying in the states, NOW's the time to buy. Prices are ridiculous for Friesians right now. Especially from private homes! My gosh! Granted, you would need a good eye to buy via this method, but the prices are crazy! Established breeders, trainers, importers are still fetching the same price for their horses, of course.

Sara 02-17-2009 12:57 PM

I would also add JRB Friesians. I have not dealt with them before, but they do breed some nice horses (and Warlanders too, if you are interested in looking at that cross...love this little guy http://www.jrbfriesians.com/Pages/honor_bright.htm). Also, they are a little closer to your neck of the woods.

MirrorStage2009 02-17-2009 01:15 PM

Canadian breeders

I don't know much about Friesians in Canada. I'd contact the Candadian Friesian Society, though most of the horses/farms there are FPZV (not my area of concern).

Some Canadian breeders I "know" about are:
Witteven Friesians (the largest)
Bonnie View
Endymion Farm
the above are FHANA, these I'm not sure?
Black Reign
Spruce View
Friesian Ranch (the largest breeder for Arabo Friesians...first imported stallion in NA is there)

Some I don't know are:
Black Pearl Classic
House of Friesians (but they have some really good programs going!)
Kennettas (I'm not sure if they are related to here Vanderkooi Friesian Horses??)
Whispering Hills (I "know" their FPZV approved stallion Donius)

Hope this helps. :-)

Sara 02-17-2009 04:53 PM

*sigh*...looking at all the horses makes me wish I could afford to board another one.

JustDressageIt 02-17-2009 05:29 PM

You guys are AWESOME!!!

Now, when you say prices are insane... they're insanely low??? Where do I look for a private owner?