The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bitting Questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bitting-questions-22746/)

Spastic_Dove 02-17-2009 12:50 AM

Bitting Questions

So I am looking at finding the right bit for Diesel. We have his barrel bit, but I don't like to use it for day to day riding.

He is over 5, so per AQHA (and every other show around here rules) western, we have to ride in a shanked bit...I have been using:
http://www.horsetrainingvideos.com/i...fle-8shank.jpg

He seems to like it fine. However, I am actually wanting to take him back to the basics as I want to transistion over to Dressage. I have been looking at the Myler bits and there are just too many options to choose from.

I decided to place him as a Level 1 on their scale just because we have been having problems lately and I want to go back and fill any gaps he has...Here is what I was thinking:

Level 1: Level One
• Horse has just begun training or has had little training
• Is learning basic gaits, transitions and obedience
• Has begun to “break at the poll”

Or here is the website: Myler Bits USA

So what I was thinking was:
http://mylerbitsusa.com/images/comfort_snaffle/2.jpg
Mouthpiece with D ring snaffles.

I want to go back and work on the basics of collection as I think my trainer has been skipping out on some and just forcing him into frame (videos to come).

Is there something else I should try? He likes to ignore very soft bits, He will flat out refuse to listen to the O Ring snaffle I have tried even when he was at his best. I want something with a bit of bite, but nothing too severe.

Any suggestions as far as English and Western? I know I want something with a linked mouthpiece...but thats about all I know.

Sorry if this post is pretty confusing.

Spirithorse 02-17-2009 09:47 AM

I think it's a great decision. Personally, IMO, his barrel bit is harsh. You pair a jointed mouthpiece with a shank and oh boy! Ouch. Perhaps that's why he "doesn't listen" to a softer bit. This Myler snaffle is nice and soft, so use that with more basic foundation training and I think you'll be just fine.

mls 02-17-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse (Post 252928)
Personally, IMO, his barrel bit is harsh. You pair a jointed mouthpiece with a shank and oh boy! Ouch. Perhaps that's why he "doesn't listen" to a softer bit.

Have you ever used one? (jointed with shanks?)

Spirithorse 02-17-2009 10:25 AM

No and I never will. It's basic mechanics, the bit already has a nut cracker action, so pair that with a leverage action and you have much more of a nut cracker action.

Spastic_Dove 02-17-2009 11:19 AM

Thanks. That bit isn't his barrel bit. The barrel bit he is actually very soft in and the only time I put any pressure in his mouth is for rating (on top of my seat).
That Greg Darnell bit, imo is not harsh how I use it (One handed, soft hands, etc)

The thing is, I am totally an advocate for going down to a softer bit when there is a problem, but some horses just need a bit more bite in my opinion than a smooth snaffle...I think he is one of them.

Thanks for the response :)

Spirithorse 02-17-2009 11:39 AM

A bit with more bite can not replace good training, but that's only my opinion.

MIEventer 02-17-2009 11:43 AM

I LOVE Muler Bits :) I use them on all my bridles. I was lucky enough to find them at Tack Sales throughout the years and getting them for phenominal prices......but I have every bridle bitted with a Myler Level 1, Comfort Snaffle.

Great Bits :) My TB goes beautifully in them.

Spastic_Dove 02-17-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirithorse (Post 253003)
A bit with more bite can not replace good training, but that's only my opinion.

And I have never argued that point.

MIEventer, I was definitely thinking one of the comfort snaffles...what kind of cheek pieces would you recommend on a horse that has the basics but I want to fill in any gaps..?

MIEventer 02-17-2009 01:42 PM

I like D Rings and Egg Butts - but I dont know what cheek pieces there are for western.

Spastic_Dove 02-17-2009 01:45 PM

I am pretty sure I could use a D ring or Eggbutt in western (At least around the barn when training and stuff.) I know that if I want to show, I have to have a shanked bit but I'm going to avoid that for the moment.

Maybe I will try them both out tonight.