The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   I really need some weight loss support and help :/ (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/i-really-need-some-weight-loss-227482/)

KickinUpDust 07-06-2013 02:56 PM

I really need some weight loss support and help :/

I know i havent posted on here much or in a long time but i would love some weight loss advice. Alittle background about me. I am a 21 years old female. I'm 5 6" and about 225lbs. I barrel race, trail ride, have a job, boyfriend, horse, dogs ect. I stay busy, but when I am at home I love to "graze" on everything! I don't know what to! when I get home I just want to sit watch tv and eat. It's horrible and I feel that I look horrible too. My diet isn't the best, believe me I am a meat and potatoes person, so what can I do?

I have a bike and love to bike ride but I am always riding alone or it's too hot or I'm to tired from everything else.

Iv tried to watch what I eat, iv tried exercising. I just fall back into a my old routine every time though because I can't see or feel any changes. It doesn't help that my boyfriend won't eat healthier. So I am stuck. I want to loose weight so badly it's not even funny. I feel like a cow when I look in the mirror and I HATE clothes shopping. It just makes me want to cry when I look in the mirror. If I could just break 200 lbs i would be estatic but that seems like suck a far away goal.

Thoughts, comments, advice, weight loss tips. Any and all would much appreciated. I just feel so lost...
Posted via Mobile Device

Nmgirl 07-07-2013 12:38 PM

I can give some advice but im in the same boat lol What my dad did ( he lost over 50 lbs ) was cut every portion he ate in half. When him and his wife would go out to eat hed eat WHATEVER he wanted but eat only half. He said it was hard but after awhile he got usto it. Don't stay away from the food u crave just don't over indulge in it. Also with sodas if you are a big soda drinker drink one a day. lots of water. warm green tea decaffeinated is great! ive lost a few lbs drinking a coffee cup after every meal but also a bottle of water after every meal as well. Also! Its a good idea to eat protein early in the am. right when u get up or within 20 minutes after you wake up because if u starve yourself in the morning or don't eat something your metabolism will slow down and be slow during the whole day. Breakfast is the most important to get that going. Go for some walks in the morning or during your breaks at work if u can.

tlkng1 07-07-2013 12:55 PM

If you are like any of us you have had heard the whole, get more exercise and eat through the day rather than one big meal etc...of course most of the time that doesn't work :).

The first thing you have to do is make the decision to make the commitment. I didn't have that commitment until I lost my mother back in December just after Christmas. Even though her long time illness was related to her smoking, I made the decision to finally go see a Dr for a physical, something I hadn't had in about 5 years since I Retired form the military..I hate doctors with a passion..I prefer a dentist to a doctor. In any case, after all of the tests my only issue was weight and a vitamin D deficiency and a mildly elevated blood pressure.

I started in a water aerobics class (arthritic knee issues) and am working with a personal trainer (for accountability) on the floor weights etc. I have cut out soda completely, haven't had one in over 6 weeks and substitute water. I drink about 100 ounces a day, more when I ride in the heat..I can drink 60 ounces alone in one three hour session at the barn right now. I also use protein powder mixed with 16ozs of skim milk..the added protein helps to keep the hunger pains away and I have a protein meal bar (Special K puts one out that is quite tasty) to substitute for one full meal.

I am the same way, I love food; I just hate cooking. This time of year my favorite "meal" though is a cup of brown rice with spring veggies (squash, tomatoes, green peppers, zucchini, onion) and a chicken breast sauteed in olive oil. The combination is very tasty and filling and the olive oil not only adds flavor but is better for you than regular oil. I also take a multi-vitamin which also helps with appetite control as my body is getting the vitamins it needs.

I've taken off about 15 pounds now and have nearly doubled my range of flexibility in 6 weeks. Cholesterol is down 15 points and blood pressure is lower but still a hair above normal; doctor is guessing that is more age and family history related; it isn't enough to require meds..just needs to be noted. I am stronger and feel much better physically.

Check with your doctor..they can give you a better idea of what is going on and help with a weight loss counsel/nutritionist counselling.

beau159 07-07-2013 01:07 PM

Don't focus so much on the number behind the pounds. Rather, focus on small lifestyle changes.

Set small mini goals each week. Actually write them down on an index card, or post it note, or whatever. Just somewhere you can read/see it every day.

For example:
Week 1 --> Instead of reaching for a pop, drink a glass of water instead.
Week 2 --> Instead of munching on potato chips while de-stressing and watching TV in the evening, munch on baby carrots.
Week 3 --> Instead of adding salt to your cooking or to your food, add Mrs. Dash salt-free seasoning.
Week 4 --> Eat a spinach salad (using only spritz on salad spray) before your dinner meal.

Then you are easily making just one small change each week, and then build on it.

You didn't put on an extra 25 pounds in one week, did you? Of course not. So you've got to be patient and realistic. Ideally, you should lose only 1 to 2 pounds per week. Therefore, if your long-term goal is to lose 25 pounds, that should take you about 12 weeks (or 3 months). So you are right, it IS a far away goal. But you've got to accept that this sort of change is going to take time and it's going to take dedication.

In general, what you put into your body is 80% of dieting. Exercise only makes up the other 20% (although it is still certainly important). But if you run 25 miles every day, but go Big Macs from McDonalds every day, well you probably aren't going to lose any weight. Diet is key!

Plan to each about 5 or 6 meals a day. You should never go longer than 4 hours without eating something. But keep those meals very small. Doing small meals throughout the day keeps your digestive system running. Always eat breakfast.

When I was really super serious about trimming up for my wedding, here's what a typical day looked like for me.
Breakfast: 1/4 cup whole oatmeal (cooked only with water, and flavored with cinnamon) + protein shake make with water + 1 egg white
Snack: one piece of fruit + 26 unsalted almonds (1 serving)
Lunch: 4 oz lean chicken with Mrs. Dash seasoning + unlimited veggies (peas, carrots, broccoli, etc) + 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
Snack: 4 oz of 4% lean ground beef + veggies
Dinner: 4 oz cooked tilapia fish + veggies
Snack: protein shake made with water

I made sure to drink a ton of water. Rule of thumb: For every 2 pounds you weight, you should drink 1 oz of water. So if you weight 200 pounds, you should drink 100 oz of water per day. Yes, that is a lot. But it is essential to weight loss.

I also made sure to get to the gym every day. I lifted weights for about an hour 3 times a week, and I did cardio 6 days a week. I varied between low-intensity for one hour or high-intensity intervals for 20 minutes.

Extreme schedule, but it gets results. I don't expect anyone to go out there on day one and do that.

And if you have a bad day and cheat on your goal for the week --> So what? At that very moment, pretend you are just waking up and start your day over. Every day is a new day. If you mess up, it's okay, just do better the next day.

dressagebelle 07-07-2013 02:23 PM

I agree, you have to make the strong commitment to change, and it needs to be a lifestyle change, NOT a "diet". You will take a step backwards sometimes, and you can't let that defeat you. I personally started weight watchers, and it's been amazing. You have to go to the meetings, I know people have been able to do the online stuff, but for me its the meetings. You get the personal support from others in the same boat as you, you get great tips for living healthier, no food is off limits, so you aren't depriving yourself, you are just learning how make better choices and trade-offs. While they do weigh you every week, they try to focus more on what small changes have you made last week, what did you do that you weren't happy about, what are you doing to try and change this week, not so much focusing on the number on the scale. With all the tools available these days, the tracking of your food isn't hard either, and it makes a huge difference. You do have the option of finding a meeting in your area, and going in just to see if it's something you would be interested in. Having the support of people in the same boat is the best thing. I do commend you for wanting to try, and being willing to come on to a forum, and ask for help, it's never easy admitting you are overweight, and need to change something.

KickinUpDust 07-08-2013 11:15 PM

Thank you so much everyone! This is a really good guide for me and step in the right direction. I do really well without soda, i cut it out about 4-5 months ago but i do have one once a while. Iv also been trying to control portions and eating on smaller plates to help with me visually. I deffinitely will be looking at things differently and trying to add in more fruits and veggies and water. I admit one of my biggest weaknesses is juice. I love the stuff along with sweets but lately instead of gorging myself like its the last stuff on earth iv been telling myself the exact opposite and it helps put it into perspective and make me stop myself.

I really needed some thoughts and advice. It means a lot to me! Thank you so much! I will keep working at it, and read these posts often if I happen to feel stuck ect. I have been contemplating about posting here for a while now. Iv really needed someone to help me head in the right direction :) thank you!

Cacowgirl 07-09-2013 01:08 PM

Remember it came on slowly, and it will come off slowly. Make lifestyle changes you can live with as so many of us fight the battle of the bulge everyday of our lives. You said you have a boyfriend-does he support your wanting to change? Does he need to get healthier? Can you two do some activities together? Biking? Dancing? Tennis? Ping-Pong? The trick is to get moving, not be sitting. Good luck!

DancingArabian 07-09-2013 01:19 PM

Don't forget that it takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose ONE pound. That means you have to consider what you're taking in, what you need to maintain weight, and what you're burning.

Stop buying snacks! Drink water or crystal light instead. If you must snack, snack in raw veggies.

Regular soda is bad. Drink only diet or light drinks always - even juice. Cut your potions in half. Ask yourself if you're really hungry or just thirsty. Think you're hungry? Drink a big glass of liquid and wait 20 minutes.

Ride your bike and listen to your music. Feel brave? Find a place where you can hike, bike and ride. Scope out the trails on foot or on bike.

Try Zumba! It's fun. It's addicting! You don't need dance experience - you just mirror what the instructor is doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 07-09-2013 02:00 PM

There were control tests done on how much people eat when watching tv and how much people eat at the dining table. Numerous tests, random people and the food was gooey delicious drumsticks. The tv watchers ate twice as much food as the table folks. They didn't seem to realize how much they were eating, it wasn't registering when they were full until uncomfortably full. In my own family none of us are overweight possibly because the tv and later computer were off limits until 8pm.

Tarpan 07-12-2013 02:08 AM

If you have an iPhone, get the apps MyFitnessPal and runtastic. Runtastic has a free version but it's TOTALLY worth $5. They sync together, MyFitnessPal is a calorie counting app and runtastic is a GPS based exercising tracking app. It has a bunch of different exercises, including RIDING. I am down almost 25 pounds using these two apps, along with healthy eating and exercise.