The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Feeding an raw egg (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feeding-raw-egg-22763/)

horses_r_life9 02-17-2009 09:16 AM

Feeding an raw egg

I heard that feeding a raw egg to a horse will help it's coat and help it gain weight. I was wondering if anyone has tried this or has ever heard about it. I have a skinny horse and was wondering if feeding him a raw egg would help him to gain weight.

mls 02-17-2009 09:32 AM

Why risk salmonella? There are many equine specific coat supplements.

bgood400 02-17-2009 10:15 AM

I have never heard of that before, and they say that raw egg isn't good for humans so I wouldn't think it would be good for a horse either. MiraCoat is a good coat supplement.

Ryle 02-17-2009 11:06 AM

It will work, but why mess with eggs when there are less messy, less costly measures that don't require refridgeration. You can use simple vegetable oil or purchase a weight/coat supplement and achieve the same effect.

horses_r_life9 02-17-2009 07:13 PM

How much are these products? And has anyone actullay tried it? I have heard of people trying it and they said that it worked just fine and that the horse gained weight much faster.

P.s the horse we are trying to get to gain weight has impressive on both sides

Vidaloco 02-17-2009 07:38 PM

I wonder if powdered eggs would have the same affect. They may be cheaper. I raise chickens so my eggs are very fresh and cheap. I've never fed one to my horses though, just the dogs. They love them raw :D

Spyder 02-17-2009 07:44 PM

The raw egg is an old trainers trick and it can and has been done successfully. A lot of the line horses were fed this diet and I know for a fact that their coat is a richer color than others that have used the over the counter products.

horses_r_life9 02-17-2009 07:46 PM

We to only have fresh eggs and i was thinking that sense they make dogs fur softer and help old ones gain weight y not try it on a horse?

zanytactics 02-18-2009 05:53 PM

flax seed, ground, works wonders and it's cheap.

Ryle 02-19-2009 11:31 AM

Weight supplements vary in price and in effectiveness. While they may have many other ingredients (herbs, etc) in them they are generally fat supplements which means that they contain omega fatty acids (just like eggs) that will benefit skin and coat condition.