The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Equine College...What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/equine-college-what-do-you-think-22774/)

Spastic_Dove 02-17-2009 12:07 PM

Equine College...What do you think?

So right now I am going to school as a Liberal Studies major.
I am almost through with my minor to become a lisenced addictions counselor and plan on moving to a school about an hour away from here that has an equine program.

The plan origionally was to get an Equine degree, but I then I switched to a Sociology degree because of better job options and just thought I would take some of the riding classes.

Well I went and talked to the department head yesturday, and she advised either a double major (Equine/Sociology) or a Equine degree with a Sociology minor and later get my masters of social work.

My plan is to open a theraputic riding school for emotionally at risk children and battered women. There would possibly down the line have a program for vetrans.

The thing is, I am trying to balance job stability, my love of horses, and making sure my entire income doesn't ride on me riding or selling grain.

What would you suggest? Either way, I am taking some of the riding classes, but that adds up to about 20 credits anyway.

This is a completely random question, but if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Right now I am leaning toward the double major (Less school time, wouldnt have to find grad school yet, could get a job working for family protective services or something while working on building my horse thing).

Pros? Cons? Your experience?

Oh, and for the therapy thing, we would be following the EAGALA model, so I wouldn't need to be a lisenced therapist to do it. I would be working with one though.

qtina626 02-18-2009 12:55 AM

It sounds like you have a pretty good plan.

The only suggestion I would have if you want to make sure you are employable is to think seriously of where you want to work, what type of job, maybe even an actual place of employment and then go talk to the human resources department or whoever is in charge of hiring and get their opinion.

That way, you have an idea of what employers are really looking for and you won't either waste time and money on unnecessary classes, or end up not taking the classes that are really important.