The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   First Schooling Show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/first-schooling-show-22782/)

Spastic_Dove 02-17-2009 01:37 PM

First Schooling Show

So I'm apparently going to a show on Sunday. It is my first non barrel show in YEARS. I have tons of questions.
The classes I was thinking of entering are:

English Equitation (Maiden Horse)
Western Equitation (Maiden Horse)
Trail (Maiden Horse)

Can anyone give me tips as far as what to wear? Also, what to expect from the classes? How it will be set up, etc.
My BO pretty much conned me into going and it's just for fun (Each class is only $5) but I don't want to look like a goof with no idea what to do...

Dartanion 02-17-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 253120)

English Equitation (Maiden Horse)
Show coat, a show shirt with your breeches and tall boots or else short boots with half chaps, then your helmet.
Western Equitation (Maiden Horse)
A rail shirt with matching pants and chaps (if you have them) with boots and your cowgirl hat :D
Trail (Maiden Horse)
Pretty much the same as western EQ

Can anyone give me tips as far as what to wear? Also, what to expect from the classes? How it will be set up, etc.
My BO pretty much conned me into going and it's just for fun (Each class is only $5) but I don't want to look like a goof with no idea what to do...

The stuff I listed can be some what optional, I go all-out at schooling shows because I am schooling for rated& breed shows. You can probably get away with wearing jeans a shirt with the "correct" boots & helmet if you so wished. In both your EQ classes you MIGHT be asked to drop your stirrups but I've heard that there is less and less of that going on. You might be asked to change directions at the trot in your english class to see if you can switch your diagonal, I've had some judges ask for an extended trot in both classes and to ride on a loose rein or a collected rein. In your trail class (I've onlyn done about 3 or 5 so I'll just tell you what I encontered(SP)) you will be given a pattern, you should be allowed to walk the pattern and then you preform the pattern. Hope I helped :D

Spastic_Dove 02-17-2009 04:33 PM

What exactly is a rail shirt?

I have this hideous big ugly helmet. It's functional but not fashionable. Do you think that will be okay?

Dartanion 02-17-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 253295)
What exactly is a rail shirt?

I have this hideous big ugly helmet. It's functional but not fashionable. Do you think that will be okay?

I'm sure that would be fine. I have a removable velvet cover for mine because it is U-G-L-Y underneath LOL oh and a rail shirt is just a western pleasure shirt, almost similar to a showmanship shirt:

http://www.showmewesterndesigns.com/...howmanship.jpg

Spastic_Dove 02-18-2009 12:13 AM

Okay, so apparently the classes she wants me to enter have changed. Here is the new setup:

Western Pleasure Maiden Horse
Weastern Pleasure 19 and over
Weastern Equitation 19 and over.

I have a black shirt (kinda like those sleezy shirts) which she is going to give me a red vest to wear with it. I'm borrowing a black felt had and a black saddle pad as well.

As far as pants, she suggested black jeans which I am trying to find...what about black dresspants/slacks?

I have black cowboy boots as well. I have a silver belt that I am going to wear also.

This is what she suggested.
we are also going to band his mane.

Dartanion 02-18-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 253610)
Okay, so apparently the classes she wants me to enter have changed. Here is the new setup:

Western Pleasure Maiden Horse
Weastern Pleasure 19 and over
usually in a pleasure class you will want to ride on a longer rein to show what a "pleasure" your horse is to ride. Western is not as familiar territory to me as English so you will probably want to keep a longer, loser rein in all three of theses classes.
Weastern Equitation 19 and over.

I have a black shirt (kinda like those sleezy shirts) which she is going to give me a red vest to wear with it. I'm borrowing a black felt had and a black saddle pad as well.

As far as pants, she suggested black jeans which I am trying to find...what about black dresspants/slacks?
Personally I would say that, that would be fine, the only issue with some slacks is they can be slippery. However, if your saddle has one of those Felted (we just call them felted lol I doubt they actually are) eq seats that should help you not slide around all over the place.

I have black cowboy boots as well. I have a silver belt that I am going to wear also.
Do you have any black gloves you can wear? You wont die without them since it seems (around here anyways) not many people wear gloves in western anymore but (to me anyways) they make a more polished picture.

This is what she suggested.
we are also going to band his mane.

Banding his mane will make you look more professional(sp) so go for it hehe. I will usually braid my horses main since I show English right after the showmanship classes.

Spastic_Dove 02-18-2009 02:45 PM

Thanks!
I'm kind of sad I don't get to ride in the english class, but I'm hoping to the next show.
It'll be interesting to see how the pleasure classes go...He doesn't really move like a pleasure horse at all.

*Nervous*
I'm thinking i'm going to wear those pants out to the barn tonight and see if I slip out of the saddle...I never thought of that.

I have black gloves but they have the grippy dots on them. I don't know what else to call them lol

Dartanion 02-18-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 253956)

I have black gloves but they have the grippy dots on them. I don't know what else to call them lol

I like those kind, I could never keep a good grip on my reins with my all leather ones *laugh* no slip and slide with those grippy dots lol.:lol:

shermanismybaby3006 02-18-2009 09:05 PM

Black slacks will work. I use black slacks for showmanship and if I am not wearing chaps when I am showing western in my riding classes I will wear my slacks then too.

Dartanion 02-18-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shermanismybaby3006 (Post 254304)
Black slacks will work. I use black slacks for showmanship and if I am not wearing chaps when I am showing western in my riding classes I will wear my slacks then too.

Hey thanx Sherman, Maybe I will be more helpful if I start showing Western more often.