The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Big Man On a Small Pony (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/big-man-small-pony-227850/)

GlassPlatypus 07-07-2013 02:09 AM

Big Man On a Small Pony

Today I went out to the local flea market just to look around. I really hate that place- it's dirty and depressing, in a seedy part of town, and has had gang activity- but there's not much else going on around here most of the time.

I've heard that they sometimes have pony rides there, but until today I've never seen them. There was a Hispanic man there today who had two: one "large" mini horse, and a small Shetland. He would lead one at a time around in circles for kids whose parents paid him $5.

While he was waiting for a customer, I saw the owner, he must have been at least 200 pounds, take the Shetland out to the main aisle in front of his "booth" and mount it. The poor pony kept balking, side-stepping and bucking, and he just grinned and kicked it into submission. The pony was so small that if the man hadn't had his feet in the stirrups, his feet probably could touch the ground.

I don't know if that would really be "abuse" as far as the size of the man to the pony, (because I know that ponies and mini horses are a lot stronger than they look), but the way he kept kicking it bugged me. If nothing else, I would think that it might make the pony unsafe for a child rider, since it kept bucking.

What think ye?

tinyliny 07-07-2013 02:49 AM

I 'd call that abuse. no one said a thing?

MsLady 07-07-2013 10:19 AM

This just makes me sad. I'm sure everyone just walked on by and didn't say a thing and this guy probably has no idea what he did was wrong. It's just really sad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 07-07-2013 11:20 AM

Oh yeah - that's despicable. Do you have a humane society in your area that will do "educational talks" to people who are, apparently, both ignorant and callous? If so, have them show up the next time at the flea market or show up at his place (if that is known to anyone).

LoveHipHop 07-07-2013 11:26 AM

That's awful!

FeatheredFeet 07-07-2013 12:52 PM

Did you report this to the flea market officials? Police? If not, why not? Calling the SPCA I know, doesn't do any good on a Sunday.

Lizzie

GlassPlatypus 07-07-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 2990994)
Did you report this to the flea market officials? Police? If not, why not? Calling the SPCA I know, doesn't do any good on a Sunday.

Lizzie

I don't even know who the "officials" are. I never see anyone there but the vendors. They don't charge admission, you just walk in. Police are nowhere around. It took years before anyone came in to clean up all the bootleg movie booths that were everywhere before, so no one is going to come in for a report of abuse on a pony, at least unless it's really, really serious. They could probably butcher a pony there and no one would come out and do anything about it. Sad, but true.

FeatheredFeet 07-07-2013 01:14 PM

Interesting. What area is this? Flea Markets and Swap Meets here, are very well attended and policed. Vendors must have a current business license too.

Lizzie

GlassPlatypus 07-07-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 2991130)
Interesting. What area is this? Flea Markets and Swap Meets here, are very well attended and policed. Vendors must have a current business license too.

Lizzie

Eastern Washington state.

FeatheredFeet 07-07-2013 11:22 PM

OK. Then someone owns the land on which this takes place. Presumably, he doesn't just let everyone use it without permission or a fee of some kind. Find out who owns the land and tell authorities, animal abuse is going on. Get some pictures.

Lizzie