The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Cashel 'Soft Saddle'...anyone tried one? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/cashel-soft-saddle-anyone-tried-one-22798/)

firebird96ta 02-17-2009 06:30 PM

Cashel 'Soft Saddle'...anyone tried one?

I've been looking at bareback pads for my Belgian (I've been riding most of my life and I've got decent balance, have always preferred riding bareback when possible) and came across the Cashel Soft Saddle. It looks promising, I've found several good reviews online but some of them sound made up. It sounds very versatile, like a plain bareback pad but a little softer on your rear and like it might 'grip' and girth up a little better, and also sounds like it's versatile enough that I could use it on more than one horse. So if any of you have tried one, would you mind letting me know the good and the bad?
Other things I wonder are is it really that versatile? Can I use it on my 18hh Belgian, then turn around and use it on my 15hh App? At about $270, is it worth it? They sell a seperate 'pad' to go underneath it that has storage pockets...is that pad necessary? I've heard bad things about using regular bareback pads with stirrups (no lateral stability, tend to slip when you put just a little weight in the stirrup), is the Cashel stable enough to use the stirrups if necessary? (The stirrups are removeable). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

kitten_Val 02-18-2009 07:55 AM

I didn't try it, but when I was hunting for one I talked to the tack shop owner (which carries cashel saddles), and she said she is not impressed and in fact does not recommend it for my horse (she's a friend of my friend and I buy stuff from them, so I assume she was honest :D ). She said too much padding, so you don't feel horse very well. And frankly having stirrups on bareback saddle/pad is kinda dangerous in my personal opinion. If you really want something and your horse(s) is quiet it's better to go with bareback pad (there are plenty nice ones under $100).

Ne0n Zero 02-18-2009 11:52 AM

With that much padding (and stirrups) it looks no different than riding in a regular saddle to be honest. Probably just a lot... squishier.