The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Need advice!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/need-advice-22802/)

Flyinghigh12 02-17-2009 07:43 PM

Need advice!!!

So I have a major dilema and I don't know how to choose or what to do! I'll explain everything

I live in Saskatoon, Sk. and my horse is staying at a stable near by.

I got offered a job in Okotoks, Alberta.. which is 6 hours away. I would be training horses, going to show's as a groomer, and getting free lessons. Its a live in position with a small salary monthly. It also is just till the fall when showing season slows down and then there won't be so much work for me to do.

Then I was offered another job, to be a galloper for some thoroughbreds for the summer. It would be a 6pm-10pm job but my coach said its a really hard job and she knows the jockey and said she's rude.

Then I was offered to go back to the stable I use to work at, this time as a working student. To help the english trainer/instructor daily. I don't know all of the details yet but I really get along with her, and she's showed at spruce meadows alberta.

If I went to okotoks I would have to move and then move back in the fall. I wouldn't be making much but thats not an issue for me. I also live in a town house with my friend and would have to find a person to take my place here. If not I'd have to keep paying rent.

Please help me out! thanks.

Vidaloco 02-17-2009 08:20 PM

Tough call, where would you be getting the best experience at? which would look best on your resume for the next job you apply for? Which would you enjoy more? You need to make a list of pros and cons of each position and chose the one that has the most pros.

Flyinghigh12 02-17-2009 08:43 PM

Thats what my bf told me lol.
pro's of stable in okotoks:
Get lessons, train horses, be a groomer
Con's
Trying to find someone to fill my spot in my house, moving all my stuff then moving it all back, not knowing anyone where I'm going.
Pro's of galloping horses:
Great experience, get to work in a new area
Con's
Dangerous, hard area to work, not really looking into racing horses.
Pro's of student worker
Worked there before and know the people, Really experience rider to work with, make some money, don't have to move away, work with alot of horse's I already know
Con's
I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing there yet.. like if I'll be riding or if I'll just be cooling out horses and stuff.. I really need to wait to make cons till I know more about the job.

Angel_Leaguer 02-18-2009 07:40 AM

I would wait to hear more about the third job before really deciding. I dont think that I would want to work for a rude person... just because everything could potentially be your fault and it makes the work not enjoyable. But you need to do what you feel is right

Flyinghigh12 02-25-2009 01:02 PM

Ok so the english rider that wants me to work with her is phoning me tonight so we can talk about the job. I'm excited!

Vidaloco 02-25-2009 01:36 PM

Good luck, hope it goes well :D

Flyinghigh12 02-27-2009 01:01 PM

So she's gunna get back to me with wages and stuff. Then we might try a couple sessions together to see what it'll be like. YAY! I might live at their place during the week and then just come back to the city on the weekend since its getting to be a far drive out there.

Flyinghigh12 03-01-2009 10:35 PM

I start April, after I'm done upgrading at the stable as a working student. I can't wait!

Vidaloco 03-02-2009 10:38 AM

Wow, congratulations! :D Sounds like a great job

Flyinghigh12 03-14-2009 09:32 PM

So I just found out that they are hiring another girl, after they told me yes.. what a load of bull! I'm so mad! I don't know what to do!