The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   New Horse Conformation! :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/new-horse-conformation-228050/)

RiverBelle 07-07-2013 03:30 PM

New Horse Conformation! :)

2 Attachment(s)
Meet my new boy Cowboy! I got him on July 5th 2013, so I have only had him for a few days. He is a wonderful wonderful horse! Kid safe as they come, calm, and pretty to boot. He is going to be mine and my younger brothers horse (Something for him to play with and learn from), and something for me to gain my confidence back with.

Cowboy is a 16 yr old gelding. Not sure what breed. He is gaited, so if anyone wants to take a shot at his breed, feel free. He is heavy boned, so I'm thinking he may be a mix of something. Who knows.

He was running loose on a 500 acre farm and he never had his feet trimmed, they just stayed trimmed from his constant moving over such a large field. They don't look awful (or do they?), but the farrier is coming out sometime next week.

He has been rode every day up until the last 2 months where he was just out in a pasture. He is a very spoiled boy as he got not only the whole 500 acres of pasture, but also sweet feed, watermelons, and whatever else they decided to give him.

He has been vet checked and is sound and healthy. I was just wanting to know how he looked conformation wise. He is older, and he is sound now. I just want to know if he is going to be sound for the next few years. He is just going to be a trail horse around the house, and possibly go to a couple shows later this summer. Nothing too strenuous.

Sorry for the novel. :)

Attachment 226186

Attachment 226194

Thanks again!

Endiku 07-07-2013 03:48 PM

That head is making me thing standardbred, but I'm really not sure. Gaited horses are not my expertise. I won't comment on his confo because I'm not used to dealing with his body type. What is normal for gaited or even considered 'good' is a major flaw in the Quarter Horses that I'm used to! lol

His feet definitely need some work but they aren't terrible. He has too much heel on his back hooves from the looks of it, and maybe not enough toe (telling me he probably moves short strided in the back, more up and down movement than 'floating' right?) and he has underrun heels in fromt as well as too much toe. All fixable things and I'd say he looks decent for having never been trimmed before. Start working on handling his feet now!

RiverBelle 07-07-2013 04:03 PM

Thanks for the comment! I never thought about standard bred, but I can see what you mean from his head. :)

He actually picks up his feet and handles the very well. He likes to lea on you come when you pick them up, but that can be fixed. So he shouldn't be too much trouble when the farrier comes out. :)

thanks again!

Endiku 07-07-2013 04:14 PM

Good to hear that he probably won't give you much trouble then! He sure is a good looking guy and I don't see why he wouldn't be sound for trail riding as long as you keep him conditioned well. How tall is he?

RiverBelle 07-07-2013 05:43 PM

I haven't taped him myself, but the people that had him said about 15 hands. He is pretty tall. My dad thinks he is a mix of some kind of draft breed, just because he is so heavy built. His legs are very heavy boned.

greentree 07-07-2013 06:09 PM

Was he a local horse? (remember, I don't live too far from you) He is quite handsome! He does look Standardbred. Does he do a lateral two-beat pace, or a 4-beat like a Tennessee Walker?

Looks like a wise choice!

Nancy

tlkng1 07-07-2013 07:24 PM

I can't take a stab at the breed, or mix thereof, on this one but his overall conformation looks pretty good. The farrier can deal with the hoof trimming and what others are seeing are correctable with proper trimming.

I have to say I wouldn't lean towards a draft cross though...the neck is too narrow for a draft. He may be large boned but even Thoroughbreds can have slightly heavier bones (I prefer that in a TB..those toothpick legs just make me cringe) and if I am not mistaken, quarterhorses are also built a little more solid.

RiverBelle 07-07-2013 09:14 PM

Greentree - He fairly local. I found him on craigslist. I had to go to Tennessee to get him. about an hour and a half ride down there. I found him by accident. If the lady hadn't held him for me, he would have been gone. He was very popular.

I am not really sure on his gait if it is 2 or 4 beat. I have only seen him go faster than a walk once, and that was when I was chasing my dog away from the goats and he got excited. He only went about 5 steps before he went back into a walk. I want to say it was a 2 beat pace, but I'm not sure. lol

tlkng1 - I wasn't thinking a daft cross either but my dad swears by it (he really isn't the most knowledgeable on horses in the first place). I don't really care what breed he is in the long run, I just need something to call him. When people ask what breed he is, the answer 'Horse' doesn't really cut it, lol.

tlkng1 07-07-2013 10:36 PM

Grin...the best response I can think of..."he knows what he is but he ain't a talkin'"

RiverBelle 07-08-2013 02:15 PM

tlkng1 - lol, goofy horse :)

Can anyone give me a good workup on his conformation? I would like to know what his faults are so I can keep an eye out as he gets older. :)